Halyard replacement

jmilanette

I too am struggling with halyard replacement, but from a different aspect. I have no idea how long a new main halyard to purchase for my 1983 E-28+. I had seen a description of how to estimate the correct size somewhere at least a year ago, and calculated 92 feet length, but can't find the same article any more. Does anyone out there have a guide to estimating the correct length for a main halyard? BTW my current main halyard is all rope but it's wearing in two places and needs replacement before it fails. Thanks for your thoughts.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
use old halyard...

If you like your old halyard length, whip a messenger loop into the end of it and pull a messenger line through (any small line about 75 ft will do) and just measure your current halyard.

If you don't want to bother, figure the "I" dimension (in your case 36 ft) times 2, plus the distance from the mast to the cockpit (if you run it there) and add 6-8 ft for good measure. That works out to about 90 ft or so...
you can get them predone, such as the 3/8ths one here: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...32/0/0/halyard/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

This is not an advertisement for West Marine (although I have no complaints with them either:meow: ), but an excellent example.

Chris

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I recently replaced both main and jib halyards. I went to this website to size them. http://www.mauriprosailing.com/customproducts/halyard-selection-guide.htm

The selection guide lets you pick your boat by model or you can enter the rig dimension data. It was correct for the length (Ericson 27' at 80' length leading aft) although the diameter of the line was too large. The guide specified 3/8 which fit tight in the sheaves at the masthead. Ended up using 5/16".

If you don't trust the guide you can always buy 150' of inexpensive 1/4" line to use as a messenger and swap out the old line to measure it. I used monel seizing wire join the line ends. Worked great!

Gary G

Member II
Halyard length 28+

The original rigging document I have for my 1983 E28+ calls for a 90 ft main halyard. Mine is probably very close to that length. When it comes time for replacement though I'll be adding a few feet so I can run the halyard to the chain plates or bow pulpit to keep it from slapping on the mast when she's in the slip and wind is blowing.