Halyard Exits (E35-3)

cbeveridge

Member I
I am wondering if anyone has any experience replacing the plastic halyard exits with something more substantial. All my plastic ones have broken with wear and tear. I am considering adding stainless exits to my Sparcraft/Isomat mast (circa 1990). I have replaced the main wire/rope halyard with fully rope as the wire was cutting into the mast at the exit.

I see that Rigrite has some options - https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/Kenyon_Parts/K_exit_plates.php

Any advice/thoughts would be welcome. Thank you.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
I believe that I have a number of the Kenyon halyard exit plates. I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
I've got three Kenyon exit plates that measure 1 3/8" x 3 3/4". I also have 2 Scheafer exit plates that measure 1 1/4" x 3 1/4". Let me know if you're interested.

cbeveridge

Member I
That’s amazing. Thanks for your reply. Let me check the sizes tonight. Could you send a pic of them? Thank you.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Another solution that I stumbled on is to mount a block below the exit plate to take the load when hoisting from the mast. I noticed that's when the plastic exit plates break. It is hard to visualize what I mean and I will try to post a picture later. On my mast, there were some existing holes near and below the exit plate. I mounted a pad eye and a single block that the exiting halyard runs through. When the halyard in pulled away from the mast on the hoist, all the pressure is on the block instead of the exit plate. Viola. Problem solved.

cbeveridge

Member I
Another solution that I stumbled on is to mount a block below the exit plate to take the load when hoisting from the mast. I noticed that's when the plastic exit plates break. It is hard to visualize what I mean and I will try to post a picture later. On my mast, there were some existing holes near and below the exit plate. I mounted a pad eye and a single block that the exiting halyard runs through. When the halyard in pulled away from the mast on the hoist, all the pressure is on the block instead of the exit plate. Viola. Problem solved.
Thanks for your reply. I look forward to the picture.

Slick470

Member III
I have been replacing them with the Schaeffer plates. It takes a little bit of fitting, but isn't too bad.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
So now I remember! The pad eye was already on the mast. I ran the halyard through a block and soft shackled it to that pad eye.
When hoisting the main, you pull below the block. The block somewhat lines up with the exit but really protects it.

EXIT1.jpg

EXIT2.jpg