Half or split hinges ?

Sven

Seglare
I'm looking for hinges to replace our current ones on the engine access doors. Specifically, I'm looking for hinges that will replace the current ones and let us lift the doors off.

The current hinges are screwed into the doors from behind and that's the rub. The only hinges I've found that split are screwed into the face of the door, not the back side.

If there aren't any I'll change the door design but I suspect I just haven't looked in the right places yet or I've searched the wrong terms ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Attachments

• Split:half hinges.jpg
    Split:half hinges.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 478

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Sven, some of the larger marine hinge manufacturers are Gem, Sea-Dog and AFI. I would check their websites. Your existing hinges may have pins that come out so you can separate the hinge halves.

Bob Grenier

Member II
Your door is a lipped or rabbet type door. Finding a take apart or lift off hinge that will work on this door is hard. I own a custom woodworking shop and I took a quick hook at some of my hardware catalogs. I didn’t find anything in a size that would work. I’m sure someone someplace makes a hinge that will work for this application. You may have to do some hunting.
You could make new doors in a full overlap or in a full insert, but why not just modify the hinge type you have, so the hinge becomes a take apart hinge. You can make the pin removable by grinding off the bottom lobe. You can use that pin or even make a new pin.
I think this would be the simplest solution to make these removable doors.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
If you can't find what you want I think I agree with Tim. Your hinge pins may be removeable, or easily modified to be removed. Actually simple "L" shaped replacement pins could be made to allow the doors to open normally yet removeable just by pulling the pins. RT

Lucky Dog

Member III
Sven,
Seems you are doing a lot of work on your boat.

Mast and portal
engine hatch
acrylic tops for deck hatches

what else?
ml

Sven

Seglare
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I'll go the route that Bob and RT suggested and make the pins removable. Why didn't I think of that ? :)

Could be an elegant solution.

-Sven