Gudgeon for Independence 31

ladyjane

We have a 1981 Indepedence 31 in Monterey and our rudder gudgeon has had some electrolysis problems, along with our thru hulls. We replaced all thru hulls and cleaned up the gudgeon, but are looking to replace the gudgeon before it fails. Our boatyard thought someone purchased the molds for the Independence fittings-Anyone know who? It is a cast item, located at the bottom of the rudder. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dawn

Glyn Judson

Replacing your gudgeon.

Dawn, Congratulations on the purchase of Lady Jane. The Ericson Independence is a sweet boat and a great cruiser, she's livelier than most folks would imagine in moderate winds and really comes to life heavy winds. I have two suggestions for you to pursue. Contact Billy Mc Caffery of Hi-Tech Boat Works in Waukegan WS at 847.244.5258. Billy pulled a rudder mold from another E31 and I'm almost positive that he had a gudgeon made from the same boat. If he doesn't have a pattern of it, he could direct you to the foundry that might have made it. Assuming all that, with luck they might have a pattern and could make one for you. Failing that and assuming that enough of your gudgeon is still intact, contact Pete of the Port Townsend Foundry in Port Townsend WA at 360.385.6425 and see what he can do for you with the existing casting. I've had stuff cast by them for me in the past from objects that I've supplied them with and their work is superb. Keep us all informed, we'd appreciate following the story to its happy conclusion, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Gudgeon for the 31

Glyn gave you the good info, and as of about 7 weeks ago Hi-Tech Boat Works had 2 complete gudgeons. I saw one and they claimed they had another at their machine shop.
It was a semi-finished casting and would have to be drilled and fitted. I bought a quadrant while I was there as a spare for my 31.
Enjoy Lady Jane, you've made a great choice. IMHO!

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Greg,

Can you give us more story on the spare quadrant? Did they
have several cast?

Thanks,

Martin

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Quadrant Casting

Martin,
These folks had two hulls, the one of which Glyn lopped the bow off! The second one is languishing unfinished in their storage yard, not too far from being scrapped unfortunately. Cockpit Floor is toast from the many Chicago Freeze/ Thaw cycles. Interior ply bulkheads are tabbed in and that's the way She sits.
So, they had two sets of rudder castings done, when I visited they were offering the complete sets. All that interested me was the quadrant. That's assuming in a marina collision, someone running into the stern of LAYLAH, it's the quadrant that's going to be destroyed! They sold me the quadrant in a semi finished state/ foundry dressed/ no holes drilled for $150. They still had one more.
Also in their inventory, a beautiful set of bronze oval opening ports, if you're interested.

Last edited:

ladyjane

gudgeon update

Thank you Glyn for the info on the gudgeon. I contacted the company you suggested and Steve had a casting-rough-which just arrived. Wow, what a great find! And it only cost $100 plus shipping. Thanks again!:egrin: