Groaning steering fixed!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
First of all I must admit to being an idiot and overlooking this to begin with..... The steering in my E38 has had a groaning noise since I got it, getting progressively louder too. I had searched in vain for the problem. Had heard tale of a grease fitting but couldn't find it. This weekend, under sail with the steering groaning badly I removed the rudder post access plate in the cockpit floor that allows the emergency steering to be used. I noticed that the rudder stock protrudes through its bearing in the cockpit floor and I could see it move. The rudder stock sits a bit higher than the bearing so there is a "trough" around the stock. Hmmmm, what would happen if I put a bit of oil in that trough? I poured half a capfull of motor oil in the trough. Almost immediately the groaning ceased! I added a bit more oil and put the access plate back on. The steering has never felt better.

I had checked under this plate when I got the boat to see how the emergency tiller hooks up but never got back to looking at it as a source for my problem. I am planning on using a heavier liquid lube/grease in future but for now the motor oil works great. Hope this helps someone.... ;) RT