Green streaks on my jib

Mikebat

Member III
I've got a 1989 E32-200 with the original North 100% jib on a roller furling. I unrolled it last weekend and noticed pale greenish streaks over most of its surface, roughly parallel to the forestay. Looks like some kind of biological stain, like moss or algae. I didn't notice this in January during the sea trial prior to purchase. Nor did I notice it when I sailed the boat down from S.F. Bay to Marina del Rey. It looks like it has appeared once the boat got to its new home in So. Cal, where we had record rainstorms the month follwing its arrival. Is this biota of some kind? What is the recommended biocide to get rid of it?

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
streakin'

Sounds like Mildew, my boy! Mildew can take several different colors-depending on the actual species at work. You can try cleaning it yourself with a mild soap and not-too abrasive scrub pad (plastic), or send it to a sail cleaning company. Any local sailmaker will know the nearest one.

Caution-it may not come completely out, but does not have a huge damaging effect-more cosmetic than structural.

Keeping sails furled and unused will keep moisture captive and allow mildew to grow. The answer is to sail more!
Enjoy!
S

soup1438

Member II
Mildew...

Also keep in mind that a lot of mildew (a form of fungus) is a *lot* happier with fresh rather than salt water. Fungi are also the culprit in dry rot... and the old solution was to keep salt in the bilges.

But, yes, more sun, more sailing... keeps the sails looking cleaner...

(Reminds me, now that it's *after* St Patrick's Day, that I need to turn my boat around so the starboard side gets more sun and bleaches out the algae growing there...)