Got Senta II back and the Bomon Ports !

Sven

Seglare
We're beat but have her back in the slip :egrin: The most exciting part was when the railroad car carrying her around the yard derailed :scared::0305_alar:confused::esad:

The Bomon ports were waiting at the door when we got home. No instructions but they look good in the plastic wrapper.

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I received my Bomon ports today. The Graylight #14 glass is really nice. I was concerned that they had described it as darker than what I had seen at a glass supplier locally, but it turns out to be as I had observed; almost black when viewed laid out on my living room floor, but easily seen through when held up to daylight while cutting down the light transmission and glare considerably.

Workmanship looks good, although there are a few rough spots in the exterior surface; looks like sanding scratches, which doesn't seem likely as it is extrusion. (I'm a real perfectionist, if you haven't noticed...)

Not particularly pleased that the interior retaining frame is in two pieces. Not sure why that has to be since the frame around the glass is one piece.

They used square drive screws to attach the interior frame and did not include screws for all the holes. Have to run to the hardware store and find a square drive so I can remove the interior frame to inspect.

I plan to use the butyl tape method of mounting rather than the foam tape included with the frames, which looks like 3/8" closed cell foam that I could buy at Home Depot. (I expected a one-piece gasket of some kind.)

Overall I'm pretty happy with them so far...as long as they don't leak...

Next step is to cut routing templates so I can trim the hull openings as close to the frame measurements as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_0184s.jpg
    IMG_0184s.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0185s.jpg
    IMG_0185s.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Hey Sven, you might want to keep an eye on the credit card account you used for the Bomon purchase; I just got a call from Chase about some unauthorized charges. The last legitimate charge on that card was from Bomon...

Sven

Seglare
Hi Mark

Hey Sven, you might want to keep an eye on the credit card account you used for the Bomon purchase; I just got a call from Chase about some unauthorized charges. The last legitimate charge on that card was from Bomon...

Sorry to hear that. We'll definitely keep an eye open. Nancy typically checks every day (caution as a result of past ID theft).

Did you find any slip of paper that specified the screw thread and size ? I assume they are metric but haven't opened the plastic wrapping yet.

I wasn't sure what the weather stripping was for. Doesn't seem like it would be for sealing ? Maybe on the inside ?

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The screws appear to just be #8 flat head sheet metal screws. I realized the likely reason they did not include all the screws is they couldn't know the exact hull thickness to get the right length.

I'm sure the foam weather stripping is to seal the frame to the outside of the hull, but I don't trust it and will use the butyl tape I have instead.

Can't know for sure if the credit card thing has anything to do with Bomon except that the bogus charges came right after they charged the card for the second payment.

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
The foam seems too chintzy to be for exterior water proofing. But maybe you are right.

Funny coincidence about the card charges. This is _not_ related to Bomon so don't read the story wrong ...

After your caution we (Nancy) checked our card as usual. Imagine that, there are 5 pre-authorizations for $100 each that popped up yesterday, a total of $500. After the initial WTF, "this what Mark warned us about" we notice that they all came from a service station we used yesterday morning.

It has nothing to do with Bomon but everything to do with the service station. We've talked to Visa and they are now aware of the un-authorized pre-approvals.

-Sven

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Mark is right about the screw lengths. I had called Bomon about the limited screws and that is what they said.

I used the weatherstripping and it lasted 2 seasons so I would advise against using it. Butyl would be the next best sealant.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Hmmm...interesting about the credit card charges. I thought maybe somewhere in Bomon's processing of the charges the account info was compromised. There was one pre-authorization charge of $1 on my card followed by a charge at the Apple on-line store, then an attempted charge of $4,000 for computer software, which was declined.