gooseneck help!

seth.angeli

Hello everyone!
New to the site. Own an E25 (1976) and about to stand my mast back up. I have everything i need except a goose-neck and goose-neck toggle. I don't feel comfortable putting the one i took off back on. I have already replaced the majority of my rigging and hardware. i have searched the internet and stores around here high and low and cannot find something that fits my needs! below is a picture. Any help is greatly appreciated!!IMAG0689.jpg

Glyn Judson

Gooseneck woes.

Dear friend, To be totally honest, from what I can see of your existing one, aside from needing a little cleaning up, it looks good to me. That of course, on the assumption that there are no cracks or other obvious damage. Even if you find some cracks, it's a simple task of having those taken care of at a local weld shop. Remove all the corrosion from the part by bathing it in a dilute mix of 50/50 muriatic acid and water. This assumes that all the parts are stainless steel and that none of them are aluminum. Be careful working with the acid, use it out of doors and exercise typical precautions along the lines of eye and skin protection. Also note that it will etch cement so avoid doing it in a walkway or driveway, etc. Clean it up, then reassess and I'll bet you it will meet with your approval. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

seth.angeli

gooseneck woes!!!

That is not a bad idea! But can you see from the picture how bent the brackets are on the slide? It looks as though it was forced by the previous owner and not the correct size for that size of gooseneck. i will give it my best shot though!!

Glyn Judson

Bend them back.

Seth, Try your hand at bending them back or at least get them somewhat into shape. Use a bench vise to do a controlled bend with the gooseneck fully assembled and stop if parts start to bind or interfere. Glyn

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I took a bent part with a small crack in it to a local machine shop that works with stainless steel (not all do) and they repaired it while I waited a half hour. They welded and polished the crack, bent it back so it was straight and polished the whole piece so it looked absolutely new, all for $25. Worth a try!
Frank