Gooseneck fractured on E31-I

TakeFive

Member II
Gooseneck fractured. Not sure if I can get this welded. Does anyone know if the boom is the original Kenyon?
Might be easier to just replace the boom and switch to a loose footed main?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

-Gary
attachment.php

Attachments

• gooseneck.jpg
    gooseneck.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 659

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The design of the parts in your picture does not look like my 80's cast aluminum Kenyon stuff at all.
:confused:

Loren

TakeFive

Member II
The design of the parts in your picture does not look like my 80's cast aluminum Kenyon stuff at all.
:confused:

Loren

Thanks Loren. It's a 1978 boat and a previous owner(s) have made numerous modifications to boom. Can't match it anything currently available at Rigrite. I wrapped it with sta-set for now. If I can't get it welded I'll move to Plan B.

-Gary

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It occurs to me that for your gooseneck a small shop that does ss welding and fitting might be a good place to look.
If they have your old parts for a template, I bet that a new one could be fabricated.
(Big shops often have too much overhead and bureaucracy and have to charge too much.)

Back when I needed some parts welded to an ss pulpit, I asked around and found such a shop. Price was very reasonable.
A chopper Harley was parked out front, IIRC. :)

Another plan might be to contact Garhauer. They seem to like making one-off parts for sail boats.

Best,
Loren

ps: It's probably time to set the foot free, anyway!

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'd take the unit to a machine shop and discuss options. Is it bronze or aluminum?

You wouldn't have to change booms to go to loose-footed.

Glyn Judson

Broken gooseneck fitting

Gary, You're not alone, back in 2007 the owner of E31 hull #19 emailed me the attached image with the same fracture that he ultimately got an exact replacement for. As I see it, you have two or more options. As others have suggested, have it welded or have it recast using the old one as a pattern (very doable) or take a gamble by emailing the image of your broken one to the folks who originally made that gooseneck, LeFiell, 562-921-3411, down here in SoCal. Now, here's the catch, they have essentially gone out of the boat spar and accessory business, now turning their operation to aircraft parts manufacture. When their long time spar guy Rodney retired in March of this year, they gathered up all the boat related stuff and swept it into a corner of one of their shops with the intention of selling it all for scrap. You might just luck out by calling them ASAP to see if one of their non-marine guys could be persuaded to dig through the inventory with a print of your gooseneck in hand to possibly grab one for you. I contacted them on behalf of another E31 owner in Florida for a mast base about a month ago and came up with zip. Maybe you'll have more luck. All the best, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Attachments

• Hull #19, Gooseneck, broken.jpg
    Hull #19, Gooseneck, broken.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 258

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I posted a link to LeFiell a while ago, and then deleted it because I remembered they've gone out of the sailboat-hardware business.

But as Guy says, it might still be worth a call. They made (if I recall correctly) all the mast/boom parts for the Westsail line and, since the E31-I is sort of in that same era/genre, they might well have made the E31-I parts.

They still list gooseneck parts on their site: http://www.lefiell.com/gooseneck_assemb.html

It looks like yours is cast bronze, but there's no reason that one of similar dimensions made from another material wouldn't be viable.

$.02

TakeFive

Member II
Thanks for all the helpful responses. The gooseneck is cast aluminum and if a weld shop can't help I'll try a machine shop to see if I can get another cast or at least add some type of reinforcing plate. I'll also send a fax to Lefiell.

-Gary

(beginning to think it fractured as a result of an accidental gybe during some stiff winds off Newport RI several weeks ago. Reefed just before then and would have noticed it when putting the reefing strap over the hook.)