going up the mast tomorrow

pcb don

Member II
Going up the mast tomorrow and plan on running new jib and main halyards. I want to iliminate the cable (as the jib broke), can I get 3/8 line thru the pulleys on my 1976 27'? If the pulleys or pulley assembly need replaced how will they be attached to the mast? Any other advise is appreciated.
Don

Emerald

Hi,

I am guessing your halyards are external and therefore you only have two? If so, you'll find that you have 4 sheaves at the mast head, two per side. This way, each halyard runs up and over a pair of sheaves port and starboard, respectively. You won't be able to replace the sheaves because they'll be in use by the halyards that are holding you. That brings up a second point, going up on only a single halyard when one has already broken is pretty damn risky. What's to say that the one you are using to go up won't break? Really, don't do this. Leave this one to a pro who can safely deal with your scenario. I don't mean to be a downer on your adventure, and I actually enjoy a trip up the mast - it's pretty cool view from the top, but given what you described, you're life is worth paying a few bucks on this one. :egrin:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
crazy but might work

This is a crazy idea but if you can take an 18” piece of light wire that will flex. Tape a couple of stiffer wire hooks one at the end and the other six inches back to the light gauge wire, attach a chase string to the other end. Lightly tape the bottom of the wire with the hooks to the halyard that is still in place. Hoist this up and if you can get the wire to flex into the hood on the masthead it just might pass through so the second hook catches to allow the working halyard to be retrieved. Before pulling the working halyard down attach a hook on it to catch on the wire attached to the chase line. This will involve a piece of line to attach to the working halyard to retrieve it with. This is not as proven as retrieving a lost halyard from the top of the mast with a hook.

I always keep a foot of #14 single strand (solid) electrical wire on the boat for this purpose

I hope some of this makes sense, it could very well work

pcb don

Member II
All went well. I appreciate your concern for my saftey. My background is one where I've spent a good part of my career in these situations so I don't take them lightly. With only one halyard you need to take two saftey lines up with you and yes wraped around the mast. If the halyard breaks you have the two saftey lines to give you a rough but safe ride down. Of course once the other two halyards (jib and spinnaker) were in place the xtra lines were there for use on the trip down, still with the saftey lines attached.
don