Getting better access to the bilge

bbboat

Member II
Re: Removing fiberglass pan to gain better access to bilge...

I have a 1976 E39 with a fiberglass pan floor for the cabin sole, covered over with teak&holly ply. My question to anyone is have you ever cut open your fiberglass pan so as to get better access to the bilge area? Right now, the only accesses to the bilge Ericson built-in (at least on my boat) were 3 access openings, 10"x10" each. On many of the newer boats I've been on (mostly European designs), the cabin floor is made up of plates of wood resting on struts that can be easily lifted for access to the hull components below.

Cleanliness reasons aside, I need to be able to inspect (and possibly remove) the water tank that is underneath, and also there are a couple of ferrous steel struts that obviously will need occasional painting or they will rust. I can barely get at these right now from the tiny factory access openings.

Has anyone out there ever performed a "floor pan-ectomy?" If so, what things should I keep in mind? Will removing all or part of the floor pan impact the structural integrity? Cause other problems?

As I research this further I'll post my findings and/or pictures.

Thanks!

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Floor planectomy

I know someone who did this on a 39-zipped the pan open from the
engine to the head compartment mainly to replace the water tanks.
To rebuild the floor, you need to glass in floor timbers (joists) and fair
them before moving on to the sub floor and whatever surface treatment
you want. If you go this route, I'd make the floor panels removable
and larger than the factory ones so you can get at all the stuff you
mentioned easily. This is a BIG project and not for the faint of heart!