Genoa vs. pulpit

GMC

Member II
Had a great week of sailing last week out of New Bedford, to Elizabeth Islands and to Martha's Vineyard. I've got a rigging question. My boat is 1980 E-25+, furling genoa. When genoa is out, it is (in almost all circumstances) pushed right into the pulpit rail. So the bottom couple feet of the sail is perpetually restricted by the pulpit, with the rest doing what the sail should do. Is this just the way it has to be or do I raise the entire sail higher (with the furling drum?) in an attempt to get sail flying over the pulpit rail? Any comments appreciated.
GMC

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The sail probably has an arc-shaped dirty area near the tack, too -- from oxidation and dirt rubbed off of the ss.
I would just ignore it until time to give that sail a gentle wash.

You could raise the foot of the genny a bit with a pennant, but this depends on how much room you have at the top.

Remember that the efficiency of that small portion is doubtful at best -- the air flow is disrupted by the bow, and this disruption is exacerbated by heeling which further puts that little part of the sail in a "wind shadow" of the bow profile.

Plan B, but with costs, is to source a different head sail with a pennant and even a higher-cut foot.

LB

Last edited: