Genoa sheet

James Matthews

Replacing old genoa sheet. What are ideal parameters? 1.5 times length of boat? 7/16", 1/2", 5/8"? I'm assuming wider diameter helps on grip/winch but is greater weight a big deal? I do have previous line and can always just exactly replace but thought it'd be a good way to learn and get some input from others. Thanks.
Jamie

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Jamie,

I'm sure the riggers on this site will provide a professional answer, but in the meantime this may help you. We have 1/2" sheets on our E30+, and they work fine, but in very light air I do notice that they drag the sail down slightly with their weight. They are easy on the hands and work well on the winches, and most books and riggers suggest that anything less than 1/2" is harder on the hands. Our manual indicates that the boat originally came with 3/8", which is the same we had on a previous 23' boat, and I found them to be fine, no problem with handling them or on the winches. So I'm tempted to go back to 3/8" when we have to replace ours.

For length, you could determine this yourself by swinging the boom out as far as it would go if you were running down wind--you obviously need to allow for this and have enough line still left in the cockpit to manage the sail--at least a couple times around the winch and a couple feet extra. If you have too much line it just gets in the way in the cockpit. I actually shortened several of the lines when we bought our boat as they were too long for their purpose. But measure carefully before you cut them!

Frank

Frank

markvone

Sustaining Member
James,

I replaced my genoa sheets two years ago. Here are a few of the things I considered:

Size
My boat has upgraded 1980s Barient 32 self tailing primary winches. They were not designed for modern, small diameter, high tech lines. I checked them and 9/16ths is the smallest line that will stay in the jaws. Non self-tailers will not have this issue so you can size the sheets by how easy it is on your hands, load and weight. High tech lines will be smaller in diameter, lighter per foot for the same stretch and cost more.

Material
My headsails are newer laminate (Quantum Fusion M) load path sails that do not stretch much. Generally, you would match high tech, low stretch lines to these type sails. Since my sheets are so oversized to fit the winches, I am barely loading them and the stretch of even polyester Sta-Set is minimal at load load. Since my sails are cut to fit on my furler, the sheets are exposed to UV all season. I went with Sta-Set to minimize cost of replacing them oftem. The only downside to Sta-Set and other "low tech" lines is that water absorption is higher than high tech. This weight is tiny and totally not an issue on our boats. If you primarily use a specialized light wind sail or drifter, I would consider the light, high tech line with a cover added on the winch end to bulk it up if needed for winch jaws. I use a 155 genoa as my primary light air headsail and the big, heavy sheets have not been a problem. If you have dacron sails, old dacron sails or don't really know/care then the sheet material becomes even less important.

Length
Measure them carefully, then give yourself a cushion. I had some old sheets to use as a baseline and they were never too short. Mine could be shorter, but I don't mind the extra line. Just make sure you've tried all possible configurations you might use: for example big genoa poled out on giant pole, etc. so you don't come up short. The size of your jib (100 -150 or more?), proportions of your rig (long J vs boat length) and hardware layout (I have turning blocks aft of my genoa tracks that add sheet length) will determine how long the sheet needs to be. Anything unusual about how you sail your boat or the cockpit layout? Does someone like to work the sheets from far away from the winch? Work both sheets at the same time from behind the wheel rodeo style while the autopilot tacks? Hate extra line laying in the cockpit? All these will impact the length.

Mark

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you have an extendable whisker pole and ever wing out to full extension, measure for that.

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Jamie,

I would figure out the smallest diameter line which will work in the self-tailer on the winch, as Mark mentioned. I like the Samson XLS Extra T which is a good compromise between high tech, low stretch line and the more expensive stuff.

I would also buy line in one piece for the two sheets combined. Then a simple looped hitch (a cow hitch?) could be used at the clew. Each of my sheets is about 1 1/2 boat lengths, but add a smidgen extra just in case.

Last edited:

James Matthews

Thanks for all the great input. I went with 85' of 1/2" xls. I kept it one length and attached via lark's head/cow hitch. Though I never gave thought to whisker pole, as I'm currently lacking one, I believe I've enough line should one come my way. Thanks again. Great site.