Generations, Birthdays and Anniversary CELEBRATIONS!!

kapnkd

kapnkd
In the fall of 1973 I and my parents cooperatively purchased a new ‘73 Ericson 32. Dad loved catamarans, mom couldn’t even swim, my then wife rather preferred we buy a house (of all things).

Regardless, the boat was purchased and named “Big Diehl” incorporating our last name as it was indeed that given the differences between us.

None could deny the beauty of her at the time and how much we ALL enjoyed her be it together or on separate sailings!

Eventually, I bought my parents half out, my first wife and I divorced, I later then remarried 6 years later. We had a son “Cary” and the boat was renamed (with traditional nautical procedures) “Cary On” making him half owner at an age where he had just learned to write his name.

Fast forward to 1986 when I changed careers from the airlines to an automotive designer in Detroit…”Cary On” was shipped to the West end of Lake Erie to reside at the Ford Yacht Club on Grosse Ile and resides today.
My son Cary grew up on her, took her from being a great Florida and Bahamas cruiser to become an extremely competitive local racer, creating a Trans Erie Race overall record that stood for 10 years!

Cary On was completely refitted in a multi-year (never ending) project in the early 2000’s and is now better than purchased new! (Multiple postings on EYO!)

The BEST PART is Cary On now has a NEW generation of ownership in the past year!!!

We FINALLY became grandparents in August of 2022! Our granddaughter LUCY, now old enough to enjoy the boat rides - LOVES being on the boat!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4265.jpeg
    IMG_4265.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4213.jpeg
    IMG_4213.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4064.jpeg
    IMG_4064.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 11

kapnkd

kapnkd
In the fall of 1973 I and my parents cooperatively purchased a new ‘73 Ericson 32. Dad loved catamarans, mom couldn’t even swim, my then wife rather preferred we buy a house (of all things).

Regardless, the boat was purchased and named “Big Diehl” incorporating our last name as it was indeed that given the differences between us.

None could deny the beauty of her at the time and how much we ALL enjoyed her be it together or on separate sailings!

Eventually, I bought my parents half out, my first wife and I divorced, I later then remarried 6 years later. We had a son “Cary” and the boat was renamed (with traditional nautical procedures) “Cary On” making him half owner at an age where he had just learned to write his name.

Fast forward to 1986 when I changed careers from the airlines to an automotive designer in Detroit…”Cary On” was shipped to the West end of Lake Erie to reside at the Ford Yacht Club on Grosse Ile and resides today.
My son Cary grew up on her, took her from being a great Florida and Bahamas cruiser to become an extremely competitive local racer, creating a Trans Erie Race overall record that stood for 10 years!

Cary On was completely refitted in a multi-year (never ending) project in the early 2000’s and is now better than purchased new! (Multiple postings on EYO!)

The BEST PART is Cary On now has a NEW generation of ownership in the past year!!!

We FINALLY became grandparents in August of 2022! Our granddaughter LUCY, now old enough to enjoy the boat rides - LOVES being on the boat!!!
Can’t get the edit to work…NOTE how Lucy already LOVES the helm and seems to take it as a serious responsibility!

Lucy is now the fourth generation of family ownership of CaryOn as we just celebrated her first Birthday and our 50 YEARS of Ericson owner!!!

(Lucy celebrated with her very first taste of sugar via her and CaryOn’s Birthday/Anniversary Cake!) IMG_9131.jpeg

kapnkd

kapnkd
So many Smiles!
:)
Thanks Loren!

Lucy is indeed a constant joy for us and smiling all the time!

I’m honestly amazed at her already enjoyment of just being on the boat!

Her mom & dad have had her down on the boat without us. Lucy plays in the cockpit plus enjoys snacks and special time with with her dad below!
IMG_4674.jpegIMG_9814.jpeg

Both her mom & dad are accomplished sailors, not to mention her other grandpa being a longtime Lightning sailor and Mackinaw racer for many years! SAILING is DEFINITELY in Lucy’s DNA from the get-go!

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Great photos - 4 generations is really impressive! Love those “lil Mustang” PFDs and that little handle in the back. But they grow out of them so fast…

Another long-term Ericson owner (since November 1991) - wife and daughter #1 (in Lil Mustang PFD), June 2001, and last month. Daughter (now 23) raced with me this summer twice a week. You’ll recognize Cary On’s former Hood mainsail, still going strong enough for our round-the-buoys purposes.

Attachments

• 13-DBClara3.jpg
    13-DBClara3.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0527.jpeg
    IMG_0527.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 10

kapnkd

kapnkd
Great photos - 4 generations is really impressive! Love those “lil Mustang” PFDs and that little handle in the back. But they grow out of them so fast…

Another long-term Ericson owner (since November 1991) - wife and daughter #1 (in Lil Mustang PFD), June 2001, and last month. Daughter (now 23) raced with me this summer twice a week. You’ll recognize Cary On’s former Hood mainsail, still going strong enough for our round-the-buoys purposes.
Thanks!!…And yes, Lucy is growing ever so fast!! …Great family photos of you enjoying a sail as well.

It’s nice to also know the Hood main has found a good home and is holding up well for you. We were really happy with it. (We’d have probably hung on to it had my son Cary not gotten so competitive and switched to the go-faster Mylar.)

Saverio

Member III

beautiful story, I was moved