Gelcoat colors

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I do not think I have ever seen an Ericson with anything but white topsides unless it was painted. My E35-III is painted red(topsides) but I always assumed it was once white. After stripping most of the bottom paint from my hull this last weekend it appears that the boat has red gelcoat(below the waterline).

Did Ericsons come in anything other than white topsides with a colored stripe?

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Hi Tim, for what it's worth. Ours has the white topside (original) and the hull is white gel coat with the Navy blue (gel goat) stripe on the top side of the hull and I think it is gel goat at the water line as well. I need to rub out, seal and wax the one at the water line so will find out if it is gel goat or paint. That will be a fun little project in the water.

Glyn Judson

What colors did our Ericsons come in?

Terry, The Ericson 31 came six factory offered colors, white, beige, green, dark blue, light blue, and maroon better described as the color of red oxide or bottom paint. I can understand most of the factory colors except for the light blue and the maroon ones. These are gel coat colors that Ericson sold them in, not repainted hulls that might have been white or something like that in their former life. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55 (beige), Marina del Rey, CA

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Have any of you had success in mixing gelcoat to match the Ericson white of the mid 1980s (for minor chip repairs)? If so, any guidance/formula you can provide would be much appreciated.
Frank.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
The first E37 hull was bright yellow-named Dandelion. There was a
famous E39 that was also yellow-named Chiquita that was used
in some ads. The 46 currently listed on Yachtworld is red and is
the original color.

Martin

Last edited:

Richard Elliott

Member III
Gel Coat Colors

Expanding on Frank's comment, Ericson white is not white but a light grey. I discovered this by patching scratches with white. A local repair yard claims that the Ericson gel coat is one of the most difficult to match.

Blue Jeans

Member I
For gel coat color matching, try Spectrum Color in Auburn, WA. They have a large inventory of small kits for many boats. They were able to match my S2 sailboat.

Spectrum Color
1410 37th St NW # F
Auburn, WA 98001
<NOBR>(253) 735-1830</NOBR>
www.spectrumcolor.com<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->
progress.gif

Frank Langer

The store in Washington would be great, if I lived anywhere near there, but I don't. So, following up on Richard's comment about Ericson white being more like a light grey, does anyone have any suggestions--mix white with a very small amount of black? I have also wondered if it had a bit of a blue tint, but I could be wrong. Any suggestions?
Frank.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Measure out your ingredients very carefully and mix. Apply it to a peice of thin carboard and let it set. Once it is dry, compare it to the area you want to repair. If it does not match, adjust the mixture. Once you get the right mixture, go for it. I say to let it dry because gelcoat will change color a little when it drys. Many professional boat yards do not take the time to do this and often get "close enough". Take your time and do not assume that all areas on your boat have aged evenly. You may end up with different recipes for different parts. Good luck.

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Ericson white

:egrin: Hi Frank Ericson White is white with an experimental bit of yellow and black
keep trying you'll get it. must be dry for a match also the blue is Royal blue with a small amount of black I am sure after phenominal expenditure ,experimentation and persiverence you'll get it..

Charlie Pash Eden E30+ Victoria B.C.

Frank Langer

Thanks, Charlie. Does "experimental" mean just a little bit, and play around with it to get it close?
Frank.