Gear adjustment on Universal m25

Kadima

I purchased my 34-2 August 2013 and sailed her for a bit until October when she was hauled for the winter. Prior to the winter we were able to shift gears from neutral to forward and reverse easily and identifying we were in gear was no problem. We are back in the water and noticed going into forward is very difficult and we have a lot of play in neutral. I am looking for assistance on how to adjust the gears. I previously owned an A-4 gas engine and the adjustment was relatively simple. Hoping for the same with my m-25. Any assistance is appreciated!

gulfcoaster

Member III
May be shifting cable

I purchased my 34-2 August 2013 and sailed her for a bit until October when she was hauled for the winter. Prior to the winter we were able to shift gears from neutral to forward and reverse easily and identifying we were in gear was no problem. We are back in the water and noticed going into forward is very difficult and we have a lot of play in neutral. I am looking for assistance on how to adjust the gears. I previously owned an A-4 gas engine and the adjustment was relatively simple. Hoping for the same with my m-25. Any assistance is appreciated!

I had a similar problem last year. It turned out to be a herniated shifting cable. Due to corrosion, the inner cable had broke though the outer sheath in three places. West Marine had the cable in stock and a friend of mine replaced it in 1 1/2 hrs. This may be your problem as well.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Could be you need new Morse/Teleflex cables, if the issue is shifting using the cockpit levers. Not a big deal.

Some treatment of changing cables here (click for link).