Gathering of the So. Cal. Vikings at Two Harbors (Isthmus) on Catalina Island.

Sven

Seglare
Hi Mike,

Mikebat said:
You think there will be a crowd? I haven't got decent ground tackle for my (new to me) E32 yet, so I am dependent on the moorings at Two Harbors. The boat was only day-sailed on S.F. Bay before I bought her. I have two anchors and some chain, but they are small and there is not enough rode for deep water anchoring.

Since we've only been there 4 or 5 times I'd hesitate to give you an answer. At the hight of the sumer there were two times when we ended up on the stringline because the regular moorings were full, but that was when we arrived Friday or Saturday night and we usually arrive late since we usually sail unless there is no wind. On both occasions there were moorings available in Cat Harbour (the other side on the Isthmus) but that adds a few hours to the trip if you change destinations at the last minute.

Maybe someone who knows the Isthmus better can give some more useful feedback ?

What a great excuse to pick up some nice ground tackle :)

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
Well, I had to take a whole week of on-call from my co-worker, who has agreed to do my on-call duty Mar 18-21 when I was scheduled for regular rotation (we're internet engineers, by the way, not doctors).

So the bottom line is that I am cleared of obligations for Mar 18-21, and so I can confirm my vessel's participation, weather permitting. My crew is my nephew Daniel, who is staying with me while he attends school here in So. Cal., and maybe a friend or two of his, perhaps even a girlfriend if he can get his game on by then. Always nice to have a bow ornament... :egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sounds like a fine Crew Mike!

Sounds like a fine Crew Mike! I just received confirmation from my crew. They are a couple that were former owners of a Cal 29. Rob & Julie. I have crashed a couple of their Cal meets with the LA Yacht Club in the past at Howlings Landing. They are great crew and we are all excited about the first Island trip of the season! Let alone the first Ericson gathering we will be attending.

So let me attempt to take roll call here.

Mike with crew on the 1989 32-200 "Valinor".

Sven with crew on the 1975 Ericson 23-2 "La Petite".

Jeff with crew on the 1973 27 "Pride of Cucamonga".

Sven mentioned another couple, "Glyn and Marilyn". Are they Ericson owners as well?

Is that all of us? Sounds like a good start.
:egrin: :egrin: :egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Friday March 18th.

One other thing. We will not be arriving until mid afternoon on Friday March 18th. We then will depart mid morning on Sunday the 20th.

I will give a shout out on VHF Channel 68 when we arrive so keep your radios on scan if you can. I'm sure we will find each other. Lets try to raft up as close as possible. Mikes boat is the largest so he will probably be in the second row of moorings closest to the shore. I usually get a mooring in the first row because of my size and shallow draft. :egrin:

Sven

Seglare
Jeff Asbury said:
Sven mentioned another couple, "Glyn and Marilyn". Are they Ericson owners as well?

Most definitely. Glyn is (one of ?) the instigator(s) behind the http://e31.no-ip.com/index.asp site. If you subscribe to the ericson@list.sailnet.net discussion list you've seen 100's of posts by him. He's actually the one who suggested the weekend of the 19th for a gathering.

We'll try to remember to keep one radio on Ch 68. We're pretty easy to recognize because I fly the Swedish flag under the port spreader when on board, or out of the slip.

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
My neighbor in the next slip over is a guy named Ken, who lives on his Ericson 29-2. If I see him this weekend I'll ask if he would like to join us at Isthmus Cove.

wiland

ericsons on the rock

I know i am late to respond to these posts regarding a trip out to Catalina, but i thought i would throw in my support. although some plans have been made for as early as next weekend, i would love to get out there on any weekend in the coming months with enough advanced notice. i just took a trip out there from oceanside and caught a wonderful window in the weather we have been suffering through this winter. please keep the plans rolling, this newbie would love to hook up with a few of you salty dogs to get some info about the boat and good destinations in the area. - andy

Sven

Seglare
wiland said:
i just took a trip out there from oceanside and caught a wonderful window in the weather we have been suffering through this winter.

The cruise this coming Thursday through Sunday is still on, but the weather looks questionable. We don't mind rain as long as it happens while we are at the mooring, but a 6-8 hour crossing in chilly rain would be less fun. Right now there's a 30% chance of rain on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with lows of 50 degrees.

Maybe the weather gods will come to their senses. We don't want another sail like the one where we were running before the Thanksgiving storm, even if it was beautiful :)

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I really hate to make this post.

I really hate to make this post but the crew that I thought were going with me have had to cancel because of the flaky world of escrow commitments. The weather predictions are also looking questionable. At this point I am very much in the air. I have secured the time off and have the boat outfitted and ready to go, but I may not make the decision to make the crossing until the last minute. Apologies in advance if you don't see myself and the "Pride of Cucamonga" over there this time. I feel badly that I may not make it because I was partly responsible for instigating this gathering. I will keep you posted as far as this trip goes, and be sure to always announce my future trips to the island. :boohoo:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
NOAA Weather Forcast for March 17th - 20th

Thursday...Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 60s.

Thursday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s.

Friday...Partly cloudy. Highs in the 60s.

Friday Night...Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain. Lows in the lower 50s. Highs in the 60s.

Saturday...Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain. Lows in the lower 50s. Highs in the 60s.

Sunday...Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of light rain. Highs in the mid 60s to lower 70s.

Sven

Seglare
Jeff Asbury said:
I may not make the decision to make the crossing until the last minute.

The weather doesn't look too promising, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We'll adjust our plans as needed to enjoy the sailing experience, or not.

There's always the next time if you don't make it out there this time.

Where's that Woodstock "rain - rain - go away" chant soundtrack ?

-Sven

bigtyme805

Member III
Hi Guys:

I have been following the postings from all of you regarding the Catalina trip. I did not think the weather would be that good. It has been a crazy winter and looks like its not over.

My Hawaii trip was filled with bad weather so that is why I chose not to go over with you guys so early in the season. I have had my fill of bad weather. I hope it improves for all of you. Plus the trip is a little longer for me from the Channel Islands.

I will be up for a trip after memorial day.

Don Anderson

Sven

Seglare
Rain and slight chance of rain ...

We're still hoping to cross on Thursday, but if the prospect for rain on Sunday starts increasing we may change our minds. Sailing back in the rain would not be all that much fun.

Fingers still crossed :)

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Hi Mike,

Mikebat said:
You think there will be a crowd?

No, probably too cool and damp, but I just checked with Glyn and he and Marilyn (and Bruce, their guidedog in training) are good to go. We'll also plan on going, leaving MDR around 11 tomorrow morning.

If you do go, how should we hail you on 16 ?
Looking forward to a great 4 days :)

-Sven

Mikebat

Member III
Sven said:
If you do go, how should we hail you on 16 ?

I thought you said you'd be listening to ch. 68? One could also monitor ch. 9 and listen for people checking in with the harbor master for a mooring.

I still plan to head out Friday morning. Forecast seems to be improving a bit (chance of "showers" instead of "rain").

THU NIGHT
W WIND 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS.
WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 TO 3 FT.

FRI
VARIABLE WIND 10 KT...BECOMING W 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 TO 3 FT. CHANCE OF RAIN IN
THE AFTERNOON.

FRI NIGHT
S TO SW WIND 10 KT...BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS.
WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 2 TO 4 FT. CHANCE OF RAIN.

SAT
SW TO W WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL
7 TO 9 FT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SUN
W WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 7 TO
9 FT. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

Sven

Seglare
Mikebat said:
I thought you said you'd be listening to ch. 68? One could also monitor ch. 9 and listen for people checking in with the harbor master for a mooring.

I still plan to head out Friday morning. Forecast seems to be improving a bit (chance of "showers" instead of "rain").

When out and about we always stay tuned to 16 for hailing and other traffic. I'd forgotten that you were leaving on Friday and wouldn't be crossing at the same time so hailing you on 16 wouldn't make much sense during the crossing.

Yes, we'll scan 68 for you when there but we'll also listen to 9 to know what's going on.
Just finished hemming the Sunbrella rain cover. We don't have a dodger so it gets wet down below when the companionway is open unless we cover it. The big yellow and blue umbrella seems a bit funky so the rain fly will be nice.

-Sven

bigtyme805

Member III
weather helm

All you brave sailors that ventured out to catalina this weekend hope you all are safe. I woke up to go to work and the winds are blowing 20k and the seas have white caps. I live on the pacific so I see the conditions right away.

I cant wait to hear the stories. Sven wrote he had no dodger, I am sure he has foul weather gear.

I just wish I was with you all instead of writing.

MikeBat gets to really test his new E32 out.

Talk to you all soon

Don Anderson
Channel Islands, CA
Amigo E27

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
No small craft warnings down here!

Hi Don,

I did not join the guys as you might have read. I live in San Pedro and it is much calmer down here. Just very gloomy with rain clouds that see like they will start dumping any time. Check out this web site and you can monitor the wind patterns for the previous 12 hours. http://www.nawcwpns.navy.mil/~weather/mugu/mesodata/loop_wshr.html

I think our fellow Vikings will be fine and smart enough to stay put if things get nasty. Here's the NOAA report, no small craft warnings down here.

TODAY
WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS...BECOMING SE 10 TO 20 KT IN
THE AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS...BECOMING 3 FT IN THE
AFTERNOON. W SWELL 2 TO 3 FT AT 13 SECONDS. RAIN LIKELY.

TONIGHT
SE WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. W SWELL 3 TO
5 FT AT 12 SECONDS. RAIN.

SAT
SW WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 5 TO
7 FT AT 12 SECONDS. RAIN.

SAT NIGHT
SW WIND 10 KT...BECOMING W AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES
2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 7 TO 9 FT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

SUN
WIND VARIABLE 10 KT OR LESS...BECOMING NW 10 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 6 TO 8 FT. CHANCE OF
SHOWERS.

SUN NIGHT
NW WIND 10 KT. WIND WAVES 3 FT. W SWELL 6 TO 8 FT.
:rolleyes:

Mikebat

Member III
I've decided to wait it out. That's a big chunk of rain moving in I see on the radar maps. If I wait until tomorrow and it's better, I'll go then. Could also have some additional guests if I delay until Saturday.