Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
As long as you keep in mind that the Garmin speed is "speed over the ground: and not boat speed throught the water.

Seems like for navigational purposes this would be a moot point. Since it is a Global Positioning System it would pretty much eliminate the need to use dead reckoning. And if you really did want to do dead reckoning for some reason, speed over ground would be more reliable than trying to calculate the effect of current drift on boat speed, but it would not take into consideration the set of the current. Either way, the GPS coordinates would tell you more accurately where you are.

The more important thing about transferring GPS coordinates to a chart, especially in some other parts of the world, is that some charts were created based on information collected in the 1700's and 1800's. Water depths and obstructions on the chart may not be plotted with the same accuracy as your GPS coordinates. In other words, your GPS coordinates could put you in a place on the chart that says you have plenty of water under you but you could still run aground.

BDEidson

Member II
Garmin 76CX

I've had a Garmin 76Csx for several years now. You definitely need to buy the Blue Chart and once you do it's a fairly useful device, particularly if you use Homeport software to create routes.

However, it is best used to confirm your paper charts rather than as a primary device. I have an old B&S 182 that came with my boat and I have the 76csx mounted as well. BTW, if you get the Csx version is best to turn the electronic compass off - it sometimes makes the boat icon point very erratically, usually at the worst possible time in a narrow channel.

Bottom line, I'm waiting to buy 441s or a 541s. They come with the charts already loaded, much better, clearer screens, etc., The 441s on sale is close to the 76CX once you buy the map software.

Best of luck,

Bill