Gally Maid Alcohol Stove- how safe is it?

Matey

Member III
I have my original Galley Maid 1972. Rebuilt it for about $40. Got a new (larger) tank from a boat neighbor E38. It's worked perfectly fine
for the last 6 years. I heat water for for dishes and tea every week when aboard. They just need some care starting. Personally, I
think many people unnecessarily freak out about them and just throw money at a new one

Regards, Greg

Glyn Judson

Alcohol stoves.

Greg and all, I tend to agree with you although in the spirit of full disclosure, I long ago went over to the dark propane side. Both of my my last two boats came with alcohol stoves and never gave me a minute of trouble beyond servicing. I remember taking my first one to an authorized repair station when my first one didn't work (it had a clogged, centered bronze in-line filter). After that initial repair, it and the other worked flawlessly. Subsequently I was virtually given a lovely Force 10, 2-burner propane stove, thus the change to propane. I can remember back far enough that I recall articles decrying propane as being way too dangerous to use on a boat because of it being heavier than air and that the only safe fuel was alcohol. Times that have a changed. Happy New year to all, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Greg and all, I tend to agree with you although in the spirit of full disclosure, I long ago went over to the dark propane side. Both of my my last two boats came with alcohol stoves and never gave me a minute of trouble beyond servicing. I remember taking my first one to an authorized repair station when my first one didn't work (it had a clogged, centered bronze in-line filter). After that initial repair, it and the other worked flawlessly. Subsequently I was virtually given a lovely Force 10, 2-burner propane stove, thus the change to propane. I can remember back far enough that I recall articles decrying propane as being way too dangerous to use on a boat because of it being heavier than air and that the only safe fuel was alcohol. Times that have a changed. Happy New year to all, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA
Hi, Glyn! Looks like I went the opposite direction from you! I removed a Force 10, 2-burner propane stove and aluminum propane tank and swapped these out for a 2-burner non-pressurized alcohol stove. (I still have the Force 10 and tank in my garage because I just haven't gotten around to selling them yet.) The propane worked well enough but I don't trust propane in general and there were also some issues with whoever did my particular installation. Plus, I'm not impressed with Ericson's idea of a propane locker (which is original to the boat, built in 1984). Well, I added up the numbers to bring my propane system to be *close to* ABYC compliance and realized I could make the swap to alcohol for much less. (I say "close to" because there would be no easy way to make the top of the lid air tight.) And even then, I'd still be checking it all the time just for peace of mind. So I went with alcohol, which took almost no time to retrofit since the alcohol stove just dropped into the same cavity.

As for performance, I really can't tell any difference between the two. I don't miss the propane stove one bit.

On the other hand, propane assuredly has its plusses and I have no problem at all understanding why so many people favor it. The cost of the fuel is considerably less than alcohol and that would be an issue for someone who is living aboard and cooking all the time. But for my sporadic week-long trips to Catalina what I spend in fuel is minimal anyway. Also, when cruising in far flung locales propane is easy to find. And it certainly does a great job. No doubt a properly installed system that one maintains carefully will give many years of good service. But for me personally, I'm happy for having made the switch.

rogerfern

Member II
Gally Maid Alcohol Stove

Roger, On the off chance that you have or will get a propane cabin heater as well as a propane stove, don't make the innocent mistake I did by running a single line forward to the heater and a T-fitting as the hose passes the stove, that's an ABYC no-no and possibly a USCG violation (don't really know that one???). A separate supply hose is required to serve each appliance, they need to be paired off inside the propane locker and emerge two hoses. I redid that soon after getting "educated". Do consider purchasing a used stove at any of many consignment stores that can be found as a part of the Good Old Boat Magazine web site: http://www.goodoldboat.com/resources_for_sailors/consignment_stores.php Happy New Year to all, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Glyn, thanks for info, Happy New Year to you as well!!

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I just received my ORIGO 4000 today, a steal on eBay, great price and in top condition, possibly never used. even the cutting board is in great shape. The Kenyon homestead will go to the wayside with the one I remover from my other E29.

No pressure for me!

Rick still looking forward to getting the new boat down your way.