Future Floor Polish on Deck

hcpookie

Member III
This Future floor treatment is great stuff and it works really well!

I got the tip from Guy’s post here:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2488

Not wanting to hijack the thread, I decided to start a new one :)

Got it from the local grocery store. I used a whole bottle on my E27. I pressure washed the deck first and that made a world of difference. I mean a WORLD of difference! :D In fact the deck soap I bought didn't really do as much as I'd thought - was more of a car wash kind of soap and didn't remove the gelcoat grime. But the pressure washer did! ;) I have one of those $90 pressure washers good for the car (NOT one of those more powerful ones that strip paint).

I saw two challenges with it, and not having mopped white fiberglass before, figure I'd share:

1. The sponge will still pick up dirt after a while, so you really should have a few extra sponges and rotate them so as not to collect dirt. Also, it tends to run some and when it dries up, you must clean up the "puddle" and redo that section. Not a big worry, but one of those "where did that run come from" things.

2. It is hard to keep a uniform coat on larger smooth sections. Once it dries, you can't really brush the coats together. Maybe it was the wind, but it dried on my deck in about 15 minutes is all. So if you look at parts of my deck, you can see some splotchy areas where it is smooth. I figure I'll do the amonia/water cleanup of that area, dry, and recoat.

It didn't seem to matter if my deck was bone-dry or still wet from the washing. No loss of shine either way. I can confirm Guy’s statements the it does not affect traction - isn’t slippery at all. In fact I make nice squeaky sounds when I walk the deck now. :)

Last edited:

Mike Thomas

Member II
"I have one of those $90 pressure washers good for the car (NOT one of those more powerful ones that strip paint)"

Has anyone tried one of the more powerful ones on a deck? I have access to one of those, but not to one of the $90 lower pressure units?

I don't know if it it's too powerful, never having used one before.

Good Thread........

Mike T

Art Mullinax

Member III
High pressure woes

Be "really careful" using the high pressure washers on your boat. It will knock the caulking from around the ports, stantions, etc.