Furuno 1622 Radar on the fritz.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Furuno 1622 Radar on the fritz.

I went out for a day sail on a beautifully clear day on Saturday and thought it would be a good time to practice using my radar. I must have run it for close to 4 hours and most of the day I was on a fairly light heel with 10 - 12 knot winds. Later in the day I was sailing back wing on wing and made a light jibe with the main to head for the harbor entrance. The boom slammed a bit hard but nothing serious. Then I was on a broad reach heeling pretty hard in 18-20 knots and that's when I noticed the radar doing some wacky stuff. Then it gave me this reading; "HD-SIG-MISSING". When I got back I read the trouble shooting section of the manual and it said to "Check that the signal cable is tightly fastened". I have only checked it at the display unit so far. The dome is on a mast mounted on the transom and I am hoping not to have to take it down. Not that big a job but it is a bit involved. I installed this radar new in 2003 and it has been a great unit up until now. I wonder if all the heeling and boom slamming a bit may have jogged the 9 pin connector in the dome, or could it be something else?

Any way I thought I would ask here first if anyone else has had this happen on a Furuno system. Any one seen this message on the display: "HD-SIG-MISSING"?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Furuno near by

http://www.furunousa.com/products/default.aspx

Then click on Support and then Ask Furuno.
They have a phone # also, and when I last spoke to them, it rang in their local offices, about 20 miles from my house... (refreshing, in this "global" day and age.).
While it is a SW Washington phone number, the long distance charge is low (or zero if you use your cell).
They were very helpful when I did my radar install.
Hopefully they can help you. their FAQ on the web site might have some info for you, as well.

Good luck,

Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thanks Loren,

I just got off the phone with their tech support. Amazing that some one answered right away without having to go through menu prompts and being put on hold. The helpful fellow there named Larry suspects that the belt may have slipped off the magnetron in the ray dome. He said most often that's what happens. I may need to get a new belt but I am comforted that it could be something that simple.

So far I am very impressed with Furuno and their equipment. Had this unit almost seven years now and this is the first hiccup. Still not looking forward to the better part of a day job getting the dome down. Since it's mounted on a transom pole I may be able to back into my slip, get on a ladder and just open the dome. Hope so. Always something to work on.

Beam Winds

Jeff

dwigle

Member III
Hopefully it's just the belt, I had trouble with the motor stopping and had to send the whole unit back to Furuno while it was still under warranty. As yours is seven years old, it could easily be the belt, which is a good spare to have on hand.

Good luck,
Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
Pt Richmond, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hopefully it's just the belt, I had trouble with the motor stopping and had to send the whole unit back to Furuno while it was still under warranty. As yours is seven years old, it could easily be the belt, which is a good spare to have on hand.

Good luck,
Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
Pt Richmond, CA
Were you getting a Error Message or something similar to the message "HD-SIG-MISSING" when your motor went bad? I know on the 1623 units the error message is different. What model do you have? I think I will go ahead and order a belt today. Thanks for your feedback!

Jeff

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Is the belt an owner serviceable part or do you have to send in for service? Same question for Raymarine owners? I dont have radar but will likely on my next boat and have wondered about this issue.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Is the belt an owner serviceable part or do you have to send in for service? Same question for Raymarine owners? I dont have radar but will likely on my next boat and have wondered about this issue.

Yes, it is. I installed my own radar and attaching the belt as I recall was part of the installation. I spoke with both Furuno and a local Dealer / Installer today and they said I would not have a problem putting on a new belt. There is the possibility it could be the motor, and in that case I may need professional help.

dwigle

Member III
The error message was very similar, but it was 4 years ago, and i don't remember exactly, plus ours is a 1623. Changing the belt wasn't difficult, and I don't think changing the motor would be too challenging, a couple of screws and a plug. Our dome is on a pole at the stern, so I just tilted it down and supported it on the backstay then watched it work with the cover off. As i recall it worked for a few seconds, then stopped. If yours doesn't work at all, there's a good chance it's just the belt.

Good Luck,
Don

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Well I tackled the radar this past Saturday. I was able to get a 10' ladder in the cockpit that got me just high enough to get the dome off and take a look see. Indeed the belt had come off. What happened was is that there is a set screw on the gear on the motor that had come loose. I think it required the smallest Allen wrench they make. Got it tighten up and the belt back on, end of problem. Hopefully it's good for another six years or more.

So if anyone else out there gets the message "HD-SIG-MISSING". It may not be a bad connection like the manual states in the trouble shooting section (not very thoroughly written). According to the smart folks at Furuno it's more than likely the belt coming off due to a loose set screw on the motor.

So glad it was not an expensive repair!:egrin: