Furling line wraps

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
My furling line sometimes wraps in the drum when unfurling the headsail, leaving a wrap of sail on the head stay. I assume this means my furling line is not properly tensioned when unfurling.

There is a ratchet block as the last block of the furling line (at the cockpit). Is the ratchet supposed to ratchet when furling or ratchet when unfurling?

Thanks - never had a furler on my previous vessels (windsurfers :egrin:)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tension and Direction

My furling line sometimes wraps in the drum when unfurling the headsail, leaving a wrap of sail on the head stay. I assume this means my furling line is not properly tensioned when unfurling.

There is a ratchet block as the last block of the furling line (at the cockpit). Is the ratchet supposed to ratchet when furling or ratchet when unfurling?

Thanks - never had a furler on my previous vessels (windsurfers :egrin:)

Hi Steve,
Yup, you do want to keep a little tension on that furling line when paying it out as the sail unfurls. I often leave that ratchet "on" when setting sail, and when I don't I leave one loop of line around a winch to provide some friction.

There is another source of potential problem with all of these furler lines, too. That's the lead going into the drum. It really needs to be at 90 degrees to the center of the drum.
There are oodles of boats - all makes and models - with that line led upwards a few degrees from 90. This often done to keep it away from the bow cleat or because the swivel block clamped onto the pulpit base is too "high". It's worth doing some installation work on that initial lead from the drum to get it right.

FWIW, a lot of boats settle for less headsail area and put the drum up a foot on the headstay. This usually solves that lead problem and also provides a lot more room for the anchor and roller assembly. Less sail area, though, so the old saying is invoked that 'everything's a compromise'. :)

If you have a picture taken from the side of the bow, do post it up.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
This is a pic of my son's former PS/E-333 showing the genny furling lead. It's the same boat as the E-32-200. He didn't have a problem with over rides.

I keep my ratchet block in the ratchet mode and run the line over my arm as I pull out the sail to keep kinks from getting to the block and to add a little tension. Loren's using a turn on a winch is a better way, but I don't have a convenient winch.

Attachments

• En Douce 041A.jpg
    En Douce 041A.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 101

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
"There is a ratchet block as the last block of the furling line (at the cockpit). Is the ratchet supposed to ratchet when furling or ratchet when unfurling?"

The ratchet block should ratchet (click click) when you are pulling on the furling drum line to roll the sail in, that way the furling line gets a little extra friction dragging over the locked ratchet block as you pull the sail out with the sheet.

+1 on everything else said as well.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
There is another trick that alleviates the furler wrap that my rigger made, that is to remove the inner core of the furling line for a boat length or so. That allows the wraps to lay flat. There is some sort of "splice" that he used to make sure the remaining core did not retract further and I dont know how that is made, however.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For me, furling is a two-handed job: one hand hauls the line to the drum, the other keeps tension on the sheet. A tight furl is necessary, with two full wraps of sheet around the headsail when complete.

The ratchet block is quite important. In heavy air, if it fails, the entire headsail suddenly unfurls.

And in heavy air, that ratchet block must permit easily freeing the line under tension. So, not a good place for a worn-out or undersized ratchet block.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I'm glad I asked! Thanks for the tips everyone. I won't be able to try anything until the boat is launched in April, but I will certainly update this thread then.