Furler Problem

richwilson

Member I
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with the staysail furler on my E-31 cutter. It is an older Schaeffer unit. While I was anchoring, the anchor rode got on top of the furling drum and put some pressure on it. When I released the pressure, the furling drum came apart into its 2 pieces. Nothing is broken, and I have all the parts. The issue I am having is that I can't figure out how to get the retaining ring that holds the 2 parts of the drum together into place. I figure there must be some kind of tool to compress it and fit it in there. Does anyone know what this tool is called or where to find one? Thanks!

Emerald

OK, so that would be a standard internal snap ring. Here's a link to the type of tool that looks like it should do the trick - ignore the fact that it says "tin snip" above the picture:

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...rtNumber=7753445&Description=Snap+Ring+Pliers

This is just an example. You can get this type of snap ring plier at many places, including a good hardware store. Make sure the tool you get is sturdy, and has ends that fit the angle you need to get inside. If you happen to have some very fine tipped needle nose pliers, you may be able to use them to squeeze it and get it in and then push it down. Put a rag over it so if it pops and goes flying you don't spend an hour looking for it. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

richwilson

Member I
Cool, I see what you are saying. The tricky part is that there is very little room to insert the snapring when the 2 halves of the drum are in place. Do some of those pliers have flat ends to slip into a very tight spot?

Emerald

You're almost at a decision point on how to proceed. You probably could take the whole assembly to a decent automotive repair or machine shop and have it assembled for a nominal fee. If you want to be self sufficient under way in case it happens again, you need the right tool. Something like the link above to NAPA might be just fine, but it's hard to tell without seeing it in person. If you want to start a high quality tool collection and get the best selection, go to your favorite auto repair shop and ask when the tool man (Matco, Mac, Snap-on etc.) stops by and see if you can't meet up with him and get a really nice tool. You will pay accordingly, but it will last your lifetime.

Something to look for is if the land the ring snaps into is wearing. If it is and this is the start of a repeating trend, it might be the perfect chance to upgrade to a new furler. Our staysails are not that big, and the smallest variants will usually do e.g. a Harken 0. I am assuming you have an original Shaefer unit with the wire in the sail's luff that is separate from the actual stay? It may be time to start looking at an upgrade :egrin:

richwilson

Member I
Ha, upgrade. Yeah, I did think about that. Turns out I have a friend with several pairs of snapring pliers, so I'll try to fix it, and if it doesn't hold, I'll have to go with the new furler route.