Fund Raising 2023-2024

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Holiday Logo_3d_upload.png
Welcome to the 2023-2024 Fund Raising at EricsonYachts.org!

As you know, this website raises funds for operational expenses once a year during this period. We manage to cover the hosting and software expense for this site with this annual effort. We've been doing this since 2004, and have managed to keep the site in a good state and even moved to a new platform to enable us to prepare for some expansion and changes in the future.

The fund drive typically takes the form of many small donations made to the the site, and then I payoff all the hosting for the next year as well as manage needed updates and upgrades. For those wishing to participate in the fund raising this year, please see the Donations Policy page link below further information. Of course, you are also welcome to contact me for additional information as well.

I wish I could tell you that we made all kinds of changes to the site this year, but sadly that has not been the case. This year, 2023, saw my family move (in Mar) from our home of 30 years in West Seattle, and hop across the continent to a town of 6,000 in Southern New Hampshire! And what a year it has been! From purchasing a new home (3000 miles away) to selling our old home to packing up and moving and then trying to get settled, it's been one for the books. The move itself was difficult enough, however the real effort has come in the form of trying to get trades on site to address issues the the house, well, septic system, trees and all the rest. I'm happy to report however that we have made serious headway and I am almost (almost) past the distractions and ready to re-surface/rejoin the world as a functioning human being in 2024!

We hope that all of you are happy and healthy, and that you've had a good sailing season this year. Thanks to everyone who participated in the fund raising effort last year; I apologize if I seemed a bit distracted at that time. Just packing up 30 years of living in three weeks turns out to be quite an nightmare effort. Then the movers show up and take all your stuff and you're 'on the road' for 2 1/2 months, etc. etc. Also - thanks so much for those of you here on the East Coast who so kindly welcomed us and offered to take us sailing. We really, really appreciate the invitations, and look forward to meeting all the folks over here next season when things should be in a ummm, "calmer" state.

So that's the story. As usual, please feel free to reach out if you have questions or comments, and I will be happy to respond to them. I hope you and your families have a safe, warm holiday season! Thanks again for all your kindness, good wishes and patience. Also, my sincere thanks for your continued support of this website. The nice notes and comments are very much appreciated, and very gratifying in an effort started so long ago.

Happy Holidays,
//sse

Last edited:

Pete the Cat

Member III
I want to thank you for you work in managing this website. It is the best I have seen and is a tremendous resource that deserve our support (check is in the mail). To my fellow Ericson owners, I also own a Tartan 37 and that site lost its site manager and the whole interest and support structure that had been around for a couple decades fell apart--the site was recently abandoned. It will hurt the value of the Tartan 37 fleet (a really great offshore boat) because I honestly believe that a number of sailing Youtubers were first attracted to Tartan 37 because of the extensive support and technical advice that was available. A site like this is an asset to Ericson and Ericson owners. I regret I have not done my part in the past.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for stating that so well, Ray! :egrin:

Time and again there are posts/threads here from owners that seriously considered and then actually bought an Ericson because of the thoughtful and intelligent support community they discovered here.

Value: In a time where even one mediocre "fast food" meal for two can cost over 15 or 20 dollars, money *invested in Sean's site to repay his rising "out of pocket" $ expenses is worth every penny. And, a lot more.
The knowledge base is priceless, and the friendships equally valuable.

*invested is a word used here wryly, but deliberately, because some day in some far future the next owner of yours and my boat will be motivated/encouraged by this library of EY information, and continuing delightful conversations with new generations of sailors.

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Sean: From having an unreal boating experience with Terra Nova, I more than appreciate this site. That two year recovery would have been much more difficult without this site. The Insurance Company was ready to scrap Terra Nova but I wouldn't let her go.

At retirement, I made a short 1,200 mile relocation so I understand your pain. I would like to donate but am officially an antique so I don't do finances online. Do you have a new PO Box?

Bob

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
... I also own a Tartan 37...
Interesting! So you're a two-coast sailor? Asking for it from both sides, eh? :egrin:

I grew up in Chagrin Falls, OH - not too far from the Grand River in Mentor where the Tartan plant is and grew up sailing with a number of friends whose parents owned them. Really an excellent boat - fabulous performance.

Thanks for your compliments on the site as well. As much as I would love to take the credit, it is really the members here who make the site what it is. Your statement about keeping the fleet active and alive is exactly why this site is here. I've gotten many notes from new owners over the years mentioning this site as one of the reasons they felt comfortable purchasing an Ericson - high compliments indeed.

Thanks also to the rest of you for the nice compliments. Now that our move is finally winding down and the last few boxes are being emptied and recycled, hopefully we can get back to some normality.

//sse

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Sean, Just made my donation and my sympathies after reading your moving story. As they say, “Been there done that.” I once read that moving can be as traumatizing as a divorce. I’ve done both in my life (divorce once moving many times) and IMO one is much worse than the other but both are bad. Welcome to the east coast!

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Sent mine the other day, too. Appreciate this community the helpful relationships I've formed here.

Thanks, Sean!

Felicity

Member I
View attachment 48806
Welcome to the 2023-2024 Fund Raising at EricsonYachts.org!

As you know, this website raises funds for operational expenses once a year during this period. We manage to cover the hosting and software expense for this site with this annual effort. We've been doing this since 2004, and have managed to keep the site in a good state and even moved to a new platform to enable us to prepare for some expansion and changes in the future.

The fund drive typically takes the form of many small donations made to the the site, and then I payoff all the hosting for the next year as well as manage needed updates and upgrades. For those wishing to participate in the fund raising this year, please see the Donations Policy page link below further information. Of course, you are also welcome to contact me for additional information as well.

I wish I could tell you that we made all kinds of changes to the site this year, but sadly that has not been the case. This year, 2023, saw my family move (in Mar) from our home of 30 years in West Seattle, and hop across the continent to a town of 6,000 in Southern New Hampshire! And what a year it has been! From purchasing a new home (3000 miles away) to selling our old home to packing up and moving and then trying to get settled, it's been one for the books. The move itself was difficult enough, however the real effort has come in the form of trying to get trades on site to address issues the the house, well, septic system, trees and all the rest. I'm happy to report however that we have made serious headway and I am almost (almost) past the distractions and ready to re-surface/rejoin the world as a functioning human being in 2024!

We hope that all of you are happy and healthy, and that you've had a good sailing season this year. Thanks to everyone who participated in the fund raising effort last year; I apologize if I seemed a bit distracted at that time. Just packing up 30 years of living in three weeks turns out to be quite an nightmare effort. Then the movers show up and take all your stuff and you're 'on the road' for 2 1/2 months, etc. etc. Also - thanks so much for those of you here on the East Coast who so kindly welcomed us and offered to take us sailing. We really, really appreciate the invitations, and look forward to meeting all the folks over here next season when things should be in a ummm, "calmer" state.

So that's the story. As usual, please feel free to reach out if you have questions or comments, and I will be happy to respond to them. I hope you and your families have a safe, warm holiday season! Thanks again for all your kindness, good wishes and patience. Also, my sincere thanks for your continued support of this website. The nice notes and comments are very much appreciated, and very gratifying in an effort started so long ago.

Happy Holidays,
//sse
Thanks Done