Fun time yesterday

BobB

Member II
I got in my first overnight cruise this past weekend. Sunday, I sailed from Rock Creek to Swan Creek to get a good view of the Perseid meteorites. The sail was very nice despite having a southeasterly wind. Swan Creek was as nice as ever; beautiful breeze, no mosquitos. I saw 12 or so meteorites, including one that blazed a 60 degree arc with a great tail. Unfortunately, the clouds came in around 11 ending the viewing.
The next morning brought a change in the wind, blowing 12-15 out of the northeast. Once I got out of Rock Hall channel and into the Bay, my E27 really started to fly. My GPS clocked a top speed of 7.8 knots! Its nice to have a newly painted bottom and 15+ knots on a reach. I traveled down to Thomas Point light then start the trek back. Wow, what a lot of tacking with minimal gain up to the bridge. I was happy to sail an even pace with a Hunter 36. Way to go Ericson. By 6pm, having only made it to ca. 4 nm north of the Magothy, I packed in the sails and started the A4. Lots of chop and splash, but a fun time, returning to dock around 8:30. All in all, that's why I love sailing. Can't wait to do it again.

Cheers,

Bob

Emerald

Hi Bob,

Sounds like you had a great first overnight, and that's way cool! :egrin:

It's nice to hear your experience, because even though many of us have been doing this a very long time, it's easy to forget just how neat it is - the excitement of those first cruises, the confidence of "doing it", the relaxation taken for granted, etc.

Very Good!

Last edited:

noproblemo2

Member III
CONGRATS on your first overnighter, brought back many special memories, may you have many many more!!!!!!:cheers::clap:

BobB

Member II
Hi Bob,

Sounds like you had a great first overnight, and that's way cool! :egrin:

Thanks, although I should have added "of the season":egrin:; I've been sailing and cruising the Bay since 1995, but then, each season's first is special.

Cheers!

Bob