Fuel Tank Source 32-3 1987 Vintage

Maine Sail

Member III
Hi Guys,

I have a customer with a 1987 vintage 32-3, not the 32-200. His factory tank has sooo many issues it is not even repairable. The OEM tank was manufactured out of, get this, 1/16" aluminum!:0 Does not even meet the minimum thickness that is allowable today.

Anyway, the inside of the tank looks like Swiss cheese and he needs a new one. A local custom build is going to run $1100.00 - $1200.00 due to the odd shape.

Can anyone tell me who originally made that tank and if it is still available??

Thanks!!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not exactly what you asked, but......

IIRC the original thickness for my '88 tank was rather thin, also. Different era, different standard.
Our new tank came from Coastline Tanks, http://coastline-tanks.com/

Great detailing on the new tank. You would need an accurate drawing for them to work from, keep in mind.
My tank replacement narrative is in a prior Maint. thread here.

Regards,
Loren

Glyn Judson

OEM tank maker.

Berry Sheet metal was the OEM manufacturer of our tanks and are still in business. You can reach them here in SoCal at 949.548.3613. They have many, if not all the original Ericson tank drawings still in their files. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Re CA

Maine Sail

Member III
Berry Sheet metal was the OEM manufacturer of our tanks and are still in business. You can reach them here in SoCal at 949.548.3613. They have many, if not all the original Ericson tank drawings still in their files. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Re CA

Glyn,

Thanks! It's funny because after I posted this I went through some photos of this boat because I remembered a label on the SS coolant reservoir tank. I cropped in on the label and saw it said Berry Sheet Metal so called them and sure enough they made the fuel tanks too!

I am working with Cliff at berry Sheet Metal and it looks like he may be able to do it. The original tanks were built from .090 aluminum which is slightly less than 3/32" thick (not much more than a beer can arghhhh). The new tank will be built from 1/8 or 3/16" stock instead.

Will let you guys know the price if it works out...

Last edited:

Maine Sail

Member III

Glyn,

Thanks,

It's funny because after I posted this I went through some photos of this boat because I remembered a label on the SS coolant reservoir tank. I cropped in on the label and saw it said Berry Sheet Metal so called them and sure enough they made the fuel tanks too.

I am working with Cliff at berry Sheet Metal and it looks like he may be able to do it. The original tanks were built from .090 aluminum which is slightly less than 3/32" thick. The new tank will be built from 3/16" stock instead.

Will let you guys know the price if it works out...

Maine Sail

Member III
Update:

Cliff at Berry Marine Tanks shipped the tank out today, less than a week to build it, for $500.00 including shipping to Maine. Tank is now 3/16" thick as opposed to .090 and will have aluminum fittings and a plastic dip tube....

pick

Member II
I am thinking of having Berry Sheet metal construct a new fuel tank for my 32-3. How well did your replacement work out? Did it fit etc. my present tank just sets against the hull, I'm thinking of adding brackets to elevate it bit to keep it from touching anything. Did you make any other modifications that I should consider, like an inspection port or eliminating the notch where the pickup tube and gauge are located?.. Mike Pick