Fuel tank size for Coastal Southern California?

Leander

Member II
Hi all,

I need to replace my under-cockpit polyethylene diesel fuel tank. I've got a 35-2 with a center-cabin 20 HP Universal M3 20B engine. I'm in Shelter Island, San Diego Bay. Old tank is already out and sawed up, so need to make a decision.

I'm a new owner, so mostly daydreaming about what I might do with this boat. Two conflicting dreams are considering possibility of learning to race, but also possibility of venturing either up or down the coast a few hundred miles. I expect to be motoring rarely, but would like ability to at least motor to Catalina, or back up from Ensenada, with plenty of fuel left over for safety.

I removed an 11.5 gallon tank. I have a nice platform under the cockpit, space approx 22" x22" x 22", lokks like could take up to a 20 gal tank easily, maybe 25.

Want to keep the tank topped up always because of water condensation, and am mindful that I may only use a few gallons a year if the cruising stuff remains a daydream.

So far, I'm thinking I might just buy a similar 12 gallon tank, and carry along some extra fuel cans if I do plan a trip with a lot of motoring.

Any ideas welcome!

(Also posted on SailNet and CruisersForum)

Thanks,
Leander