Fuel Tank Issues Ericson 29

RJOlm

My fuel tank on E-29 #370 Holdfast needs cleaning. Anyone have suggestions on the best method? It had not been used for 4 years before I purchased the boat and had about 3 gallons of very nasty gas I was able to remove with a hand pump. How is the tank bonded to the Hull? Is it worth the time and expense removing it so a radiator shop can clean it out or should I consider a new cross-linked polyethylene fuel tank? The engine is an A-4 Got it running after having the manifold welded to repair 2 cracks and rebuilding the carb. Had to skip the built in fuel tank and run from a homemade fuel supply to get some good gas into the engine.

Another question can pin hole leaks in the manifold be repaired with JB Weld? I still have one leak in that manifold.

thomthod

Member II
RJ

I can tell you I had issues with my E 29 tank! I pulled it from the boat and cleaned out sludge. I think I even found Jimmy Hoffa in there! Anyways after much deliberation I had a local guy build me one for 300 bucks out of aluminum. Having a system clean for 250 did not make sense. I called local radiator shops and no one would touch it because of EPA issues. This is Florida which is pretty liberal when it comes to epa issues, in comparison to California.

Getting the tank out is pretty easy. You need to drain as much fuel as possible, then take the door off from the stern area on the inside of the cabin. The tanks will come to the stb side standing on end. At that point tip it towards you and take it out. Do this on a cool day. You will quickly find out. LOL

The guy who built my tank said it was smart to do a a new tank cause my old one was 40 years old and some of the vents/take offs were on the side of the tank not the top. My vent had this sheet metal pattern of holes that were stripped an leaking fuel.

You can get a tank from Port supply about 250 but you will have to modify a few lines and its about 3 gallons less. The one thing I should have done but did not was put an access panel on the tank. It would have a run me a few more bucks but would be worth it.

Hope this helps!