Fuel shutoff extension? remote?

adam

Member III
Every time that I startup or turn off the engine (Atomic 4) on my Ericson 29, I have to remove the ladder, move things off of the cushion, and lift up or move the cushion before removing the engine cover in order to get to the fuel shutoff valve.

It would be so much more convenient, if I could turn on and shut off the fuel supply without having to move/remove all of that stuff.

Here are some ideas that I'm considering.

1) Cut a fist sized hole in the top of the engine cover, so I can reach down and get to the fuel shutoff valve without removing the entire engine cover.

2) Attach a metal rod to the handle of the fuel shutoff valve, and cut a small hole in the engine cover, so I can turn on or shut off the fuel supply by pulling or pushing that rod.

Any thoughts on those ideas?

And... any better ideas?

Thanks!
-Adam

Glyn Judson

Another approach.

Adam, I did a quick Google search and came up with this link: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tractor/msg0815253629690.html which reads: "I just installed a 12v fuel shut-off valve on my buddies F350 that has a 90 gal bed tank/toolbox combo. I used the fuel valve for a 1979 GMC pickup with duel tanks(I've had mine since new), I mounted it underneath the bed with a homemade bracket, single wire to a toggle switch to a 10 amp fused ignition source. Which has got me to thinking I should put one on my ole 1650MF, it's got a manuel shut-off valve on the bottom of the tank but I never remember to use it. Wire it so it opens with the key on, shuts off with the key off". Have a little fun at your local auto parts store and consider doing the same as above by wiring it into your ignition switch. Key off, fuel shut off, key on, fuel back on again and it would be hidden, neat and tidy. These solenoids are made for just this type of application; to stay open the entire time the engine is running. You could mount it to a nearby bulkhead and lead the fuel from the tank valve to it and then to the carb. Cheers, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA