Fuel Polishing ASAP

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Jeff, Our good friends Lloyd and Edith Roberts bought their E27 some years ago and Lloyd immediately jumped into repairs, restoration and improvements. He was accessing the raceway over the galley, you know, behind those great removable panels, when with his arm completely extended, grabbed a scrap of paper with his finger tips and handed it to Edith, it was a $100.00 bill! He returned to the task only to feel more "scrap paper" which turned out to be five $20.00 bills. As I recall he paid $8,000.00 for their boat and ever since we've referred to her as his $7,800.00 E27. Get in there and open up those panels because who knows how much "The Pride" is really worth? Glyn

That would be a great thread on its own! The things people find.... Unfortunately, all I've found were some dysfunctional thought processes on the part of previous owners.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I just had my mechanic go over most of this post with all the wonderful how to info and detailed photos of how Mark solved his problem and my mechanic said my situation is a different animal because of the location and age of my tank. He said it would be far cheaper and more effective to cut out replace my aging carbon steel tank with a new plastic tank. My mechanic / friend said if he were to add access plates and clean my old steel tank, that I would be looking at about 24 hrs of labor alone with no guarantee that it would last. Back to square one. I wish I had your access Mark, and your tank looks much newer than mine. B.O.A.T. has got me dead in the water for a while.

:mad:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Here's the tight squeeze I have to deal with. It's gonna be hell to cut this thing out. :0

Attachments

• P9190584.jpg
    P9190584.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 48
  • P9190583.jpg
    P9190583.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 46
  • P9190582.jpg
    P9190582.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 53
  • P9190579.jpg
    P9190579.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 50

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You might want to email your drawing to these guys for a bid. They did a good job on the rather odd-shaped tank for our boat. I started with a perfect mock-up and from that made my drawing.
http://coastline-tanks.com/

LB

Last edited:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
What am I looking at? Is the reddish colored thing the tank?

I have a very hard time believing you're looking at 24 hours of professional labor. Perhaps your old tank needs replacement, but there's got to be an inexpensive temporary way to achieve piece of mind and get the crap out of it.

You just need a hole big enough to get some tongs and a rag through it. Or it would be easy to find or make a tool with joints on it so you can bend it to reach corners with a rag. There's no magic. No need to hire anyone for more than a six-pack.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Ok, I've stared at the pics long enough to get my bearings.

Do you need a new tank? Eventually, but you won't know until you look inside.

24 hours professional labor? While I should be cautious since I haven't been in your boat, and I'm sure your mechanic knows a little more than I do about some things, I have to call bullshit! Perhaps that's my two beers talking, but I don't think so.

It looks like you have one baffle, so you need two holes. They don't even need to be big enough to get your arm in--just some bendable stick capable of holding rags. You'll also want to stick an inspection mirror and some light in there. Clean out the gunk, and use your boat while saving up for a new tank someday.

Also, with plates like I used, you're not limited to the top of the tank. You could cut into the side from the angle of the first photo you submitted several days ago. If you can reach that with your arm, you'll have an easier time cleaning.

You can do this, you can do this cheaply, and it WILL work as long as your tank lasts.

Glyn Judson

Replacing with a plastic tank.

Jeff, Don't fail to check out Ronco Plastics http://www.ronco-plastics.net for a standard or custom made tank. They'll spin in all the fittings and an inspection plate for you wherever you want them. Best of all, they're in our own back yard. I've had them make several tanks for me and I've been pleased each time. Glyn

Glyn Judson

Is it green too?

Mark, Actually I have three reciprocating saws, one vintage Black & Decker and two Makita's, a JR3000V and the other a JR 3000VT. Glyn

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Mark, Actually I have three reciprocating saws, one vintage Black & Decker and two Makita's, a JR3000V and the other a JR 3000VT. Glyn
JR3000V here.What do you do for a living? You have far more powertools than the average bear.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Ok, I've stared at the pics long enough to get my bearings.

Do you need a new tank? Eventually, but you won't know until you look inside.

24 hours professional labor? While I should be cautious since I haven't been in your boat, and I'm sure your mechanic knows a little more than I do about some things, I have to call bullshit! Perhaps that's my two beers talking, but I don't think so.

It looks like you have one baffle, so you need two holes. They don't even need to be big enough to get your arm in--just some bendable stick capable of holding rags. You'll also want to stick an inspection mirror and some light in there. Clean out the gunk, and use your boat while saving up for a new tank someday.

Also, with plates like I used, you're not limited to the top of the tank. You could cut into the side from the angle of the first photo you submitted several days ago. If you can reach that with your arm, you'll have an easier time cleaning.

You can do this, you can do this cheaply, and it WILL work as long as your tank lasts.

I agree, I am a bit disappointed in my Mechanic / Friend. As long as he recommends cutting up the tank to get it out, I may as well first cut a access hole or two to see what I am dealing with inside first. As far as I am concerned it may be salvageable. My problem is that I don't have a lot of free time because I am not retired yet. Or "Retarded Yet" as Glyn's Wife calls it. :egrin:

Mark I may want to barrow your 5" hole cutter at some point. I think I will stop by Marina office and see if they can recommend another mechanic and or tank polishing service and try to get another opinion first.

In the mean time, the engine is getting fuel and running, but I am sure it is just a matter of time before it clogs at the worst opportune time. :mad:

Thanks for the Ronco Plastics Link Glyn!

Last edited:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Jeff, since I am of the "retarded" persuasion, I'd be happy to lend you a hand. The whole process took me only 3 hours, and that even included driving to the fuel dock to fill up a couple jerry cans with fresh fuel. While your setup might be more tedious due to access issues, I spent a lot of my time staring at the thing and fumbling around since it was my first attempt. Knowing a little more now, I'd bet yours could be done in the same timeframe.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff, since I am of the "retarded" persuasion, I'd be happy to lend you a hand. The whole process took me only 3 hours, and that even included driving to the fuel dock to fill up a couple jerry cans with fresh fuel. While your setup might be more tedious due to access issues, I spent a lot of my time staring at the thing and fumbling around since it was my first attempt. Knowing a little more now, I'd bet yours could be done in the same timeframe.

Hi Mark, that would be great. First off maybe I could come see your boat after all these years. Your still docked in the Main Channel right? RU a beer drinker? What ever you poison is, it's on me. Probably not until the weekend though. That's very kind of you to offer. :egrin:

Emerald

If you decide you do have to replace it at some point, it might be worth looking into a bladder - cut off the top, clean out, and place a bladder in the shell. Here's a link to a company that just happened to be one of my first hits from google:

http://atlinc.com/index.html

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Hi Mark, that would be great. First off maybe I could come see your boat after all these years. Your still docked in the Main Channel right? RU a beer drinker? What ever you poison is, it's on me. Probably not until the weekend though. That's very kind of you to offer. :egrin:

Yup, same place. The boat looks like crap right now because it's torn apart for holding tank work I'm doing--and I've neglected the exterior varnish, which is next on my list. But drop by! I'll drink beer. I'll drink anything! (except the contents of my holding tank).

Glyn Judson

What do you do for a living? You have far more powertools than the average bear.

Mark, Actually I'm a retired corporate photographer and now heavily involved in raising guide dogs for GDA http://www.guidedogsofamerica.org. That said, I enjoy having a fairly complete garage/workshop outfitted with tools that I use on a regular basis for tasks around the house and our E31. If I need a tool, I buy one, usually used in good condition on eBay or Craig's List. As an example, I needed a right angle drill to cut a hole in my wet locker so I bought a small Makita DA3010. It did the job but barely so, which resulted in my buying a larger one, a DA 4031 so in the future, I'll always have the right tool for the job in the drill department. It's all great fun, Glyn, E31 hull #55, Marina del REy, CA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Fuel Tank Woes Update!

Well from strong encouragement from my Mechanic not to try and clean / add access plates, I decided to try to get the old one out myself. I pumped the 11 gallons of fuel out with a Jabsco, electric drill pump into two 5 gallon jerry cans.

Then I removed all the fittings and hoses I could. Had to cut a couple of the hoses because the hose clamps were too corroded. Then I took my $30. buck Harbor Freight reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade, and cut the fiber glass, matting that secured the tank to the two 3/4 " plywood mounts it was seated on. Once it was free, I grabbed hold of the deck fill spout, and I was able to pull it out of the Lazarette in one piece. When I got it home, I removed the fuel output fitting, pulled it out and it was covered with tar like crud. I tipped the tank to get the remaining fuel out into a bucket. Probably only a couple quarts. It was BLACK and very gunky, chunky with some water in it that looked like jelly.

I saw the old spec plaque that was painted over. I used paint remover and then sanded it down to see what it said:

Ericson Yachts (w/ logo)
Manufactured by: Vic Berry, Sheet Metal Dept.
Date of Manufacture: 1973
Capacity: 15 gallons
Fuel Type: (I could not make this out clearly)
Max Pressure Test: 5 psi

Now I have to make a mounting platform out of 3/4" Marine Ply, Glue, Screw and Epoxy it in place on the two existing supports. Paint with Poly of Blige coat. Install all new fittings and hoses, and I should be good for many years to come. My Mechanic, say's too keep it topped off all the time, and add biocide. Still have heard other opinions on that.

Looks like I got a couple more weekends before this is complete. :( It is what it is. Oh yeah. I am replacing the original 24" X 16" X 10 ", 15 gallon galvanized sheet metal tank with a Mollier 12 gallon plastic 24" X 18 1/4" X 7 1/4" tank.
:0 More progress pics to come. The main point for current and future E-27 owners, this tank can be removed in one Piece!

I would rather do a bottom job or eat snakes than to do this job again. What a bitch! And I have been missing great sailing weather here in So Cal.

Attachments

• Old tank out.jpg
    Old tank out.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Old and new.jpg
    Old and new.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 62
  • New Tank view from cockpit hatch.jpg
    New Tank view from cockpit hatch.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 67
  • New Tank Fits.jpg
    New Tank Fits.jpg