Fuel Gage

Bobber

Has anyone out there successfully installed any type of fuel level indicator, gage or the like in an E27 with A4 and aluminum fuel tank??
Any suggestions would be of great help.

ChrisS

Member III
The gas tank on my boat came with a float/resistor inside of it, and all I had to do was buy and install a compatible gauge, hooking up the wires to a post on the tank. If your tank doesn't have the float inside of it, you'd have to install one which would be a dangerous proposition (drilling through metal with gas fumes inside).

What's the condition of the tank? You could upgrade it and buy one fitted for a gauge.

Bobber

Re; Fuel Gage

Chris- thx for getting back so quickly.

The tank, aluminum, is original but seems to be in very good shape. Unfortunately, there is no other feature to allow attachment of a gage.
There is a fuel fill, a vent tube exit and the supply tap for feeding the carb.

However, I am not adverse to repalcing the tank to gain the gage unless it is such a difficult access that it would be prohibitive. Any further thoughts on a suitable ( plastic or composite) replacement ???

Thx again.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Dip Stick?

Bobber, by the way WELCOME! Just out of curiosity is the run from the "filler-neck" to the tank straight? Many older inboards never had a guage and used a "dip-stick" to measure fuel state.

Bobber

Hello,

Unfortunately the filler tube has a couple of bends in it. The filler cap is in in the aftmost port quarter at the gunwale. and the tank is right up against the port side under a lazarette and forward of the filler to some extent. I have tried to consider the use of a dip and don't think that will work. Has anyone ever employed a sight glass system using gas-resistant
plastic see-thru tubing running vertically along side of the tank with a tap into the vent tube to allow calibration of the liquid level in the tank??

Not sure this would work correctly- any thoughts??

chaco

Member III
Electronic Fuel Guage Option

When replaceing my Fuel Tank I installed the Centroid Electronic Fuel Guage
(www.centroidproducts.com) upon the recomondation of the Tank Builder and
the Dock Father. It was easy to install and has NO MOVING PARTS :)
It turns out that in VIOLENT SEAS the Float Type guage sending units
have a tendancy to DESTROY themselves :cool:
The Electronic Guages are installed on ALL my Builders Tanks for Commercial
Boats.....good enough for me :nerd:

Happy Fuel Level :egrin: :egrin:

paul culver

Member III
A lot easier to install an engine hour meter and record the hours whenever you tank up. The A4 burns 1 gallon per hour.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Line of sight?

Hello,
Has anyone ever employed a sight glass system using gas-resistant plastic see-thru tubing running vertically along side of the tank with a tap into the vent tube to allow calibration of the liquid level in the tank??
Not sure this would work correctly- any thoughts??

That system was also used on some "old" inboards. Although it's another item that "can" fail(don't forget about Murphy) if your tank has a bottom supply line it could be T'd into that, but if "it" failed it would "empty" the tank into the bilge.:eek:
Actually I'm not sure if that would be CG "legal".

The "safe" thing about sending units is that they are top mounted so little inherent risk of spilling over.

My powerboat has a fuel gauge(doesn't work very well) and also has a graduated translucent "poly" tank which comes in really handy when "filling-up"!:boohoo:

That "electronic" guage looks promising!