fuel/engine woes

cooper999

Member II
I have a most ignominious epilogue to report. After two mechanics evaluated, the second determined that the cause for the issue was low fuel. Man, it hurts. The fuel gauge, which has worked in the past, reported a half tank, and opening the port where the fuel gauge goes, I could see some fuel in the tank. The "sip tube" was also damp after extracting it to inspect for blockage, so I didn't think that low fuel was the issue.

But, upon adding three gallons of diesel and rebleeding, all was right again, purring like a kitten. I assume the gauge is jacked up (it tends to get that way and I have a new respect of how inaccurately it may report the actual fuel level). I'll also be maintaining a jerry can of a few gallons on board in the future. :rolleyes:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We've all been there, or across the street, or knocking on the door.

Forget the fuel gauge. Fill the tank full. Record the engine hours and compute the burn. It works.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We've all been there, or next door...

We've all been there, or across the street, or knocking on the door.

Forget the fuel gauge. Fill the tank full. Record the engine hours and compute the burn. It works.

Sorry, just cannot resist:
"Calling William of Occam, to any white lobby phone..."
:rolleyes:

frick

Member III
Low Fuel

While on my way back toward my slip...
Once I was on a port tack, with a fuel pickup tube on the starboard side. I such air while heeled over.

Learned that lesson.