Fuel Capacity of Ericson 33?

Bill Baum

Member II
Does anyone know the diesel tank capacity of my Ericson 33 ? I'm preparing the boat for some extended cruising and want to calculate and think about available running hours on a a tank of fuel for both motoring and battery charging. ( I have the fuel consumption rate off the Universal site...) Thanks for any info...

Dicky

RH33 Fuel Capacity

We purchased a RH33 that had a new tank put in 24gal.US for a cruise to the Bahamas.The RH33 is not your typical cruising sailboat but it worked for my wife and I although we replaced the Hurth 5 trany with a bigger one along the way.Since we have refrigeration we also had a 100 amp alternator on the engine and could charge by using a little 800 watt generator.We also carried 5gal.diesel,5gal.gas/oil for gen and outboard, 15 gal of water on the deck.Loved Pittsford but the canal was open 2008-2009 for our cruise.It did get cold this time of year even in SC, and GA.

Bill Baum

Member II
Thanks Dicky!

Thanks Dicky for the info. Why do you refer to the boat as RH33? On our boat (#5) the former owner actually reduced the size of the fuel tank for weight/racing - and gave me the cut-off half tank which I now hope to get welded back on (!) Have you ever heard of flying a staysail on an Ericson 33? The V-berth and foredeck appear to have tangs and gear to support a forestay. We plan to take our boat South next winter and are doing upgrades this winter.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Bill,

The RH is for Ron Holland, the designer. Bruce King designed most of the Ericsons but the 33s (and 36s) are RH.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Bill,

I think our fuel tank is 24 gal. It's roughly rectangular. If you can access the sides by lifting up the frame from the settee on your boat, you can put a tape measure to it. 1 gal = 231 cubic inches.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Large Tank

My friend Mike is on vacation right now, and will likely post up his answer when he gets back.... however I have sailed on his E-33RH off n on for about 20 years. I believe that it's stock tank is around 40+ gallons.
I know that he fuels up about once a season, while I add diesel several times. :rolleyes:

Loren