Fresh Water Tank Replacement

Gmilburn

Member III
Hi all,
Over this last weekend, my pressurized fresh water tank cracked around the plug and is useless. (see photo).

Im wondering if I can repair it with 5200 adhesive with some fiberglass strips--as Im sure it expands slightly each time the pump pressurizes the tank. Or alternatively, where can I get a new one. The manufacturer has been unresponsive to my emails or voicemails. Is there any way to put a flexible bladder on the inside that might form to the same shape as the old tank--or do I just need to bite the bullet and buy a new tank (about $200 I think)?

Thanks, Gary

"Hydrophilic" 1977 E-29 Hull 515

Attachments

• boat water tank.JPG
    boat water tank.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 111

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Plastics!"

I do not know when Ericson Yachts started using only Ronco roto-molded tanks, but it must have been in the early 80's... or before.
I just sourced a larger holding tank from them, and found them to be great to work with.
They have a web site with a PDF catalog containing hundreds of tanks in oodles of shapes and capacities. Try looking thru their catalog.

http://www.ronco-plastics.net/marinetanks.html

Note that you can, in theory, save $20. by going thru another tank vendor with a pretty web site, but the actual tank will still very likely drop-shipped from Ronco. They sell retail, and their prices are very reasonable. I like the idea of eliminating one layer of potential misunderstanding when communicating vital drawings of exactly where I wanted all the fittings to be plastic-welded in place. :rolleyes:

Plan B would be to consider their smaller, albeit equally-established rival, Kracor. http://www.kracor.com/pages/marinecatalog.html
I used Karcor once for a tank for my prior boat and found their QC... lacking...

"YMMV"

Best,
Loren

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
You could also take the dimensions you want to a local machine shop and ask them to build you one out of stainless steel. I got a nice quote three years ago that way, but the price of steel has been rising steadily since.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Gmilburn

Member III
Thanks for the great advice

I have already contacted Ronco and a new tank is being fabricated. Thanks so much for the great advice.
Gary