"Free" E30+ ??

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It might be just me... but for a big project like this that will ultimately create considerable mess and dust, I would first start by cleaning everything up. Counterintuitive maybe, but I want to see what the project really looks like, without dirt, mold, and whatever else might be in the way of a clear look-see.

Like, buckets of wash and rinse water, soap and bleach (we use "Soft scrub" for problems like this)m and a bunch of clean rags. Clean and rinse and repeat, and repeat. Finally, like a woodsman that cuts away the underbrush and small trees first and then can really get at the trunk of the tree to be felled, you can really get at the main chore(s).

I often find that things are a lot less intimidating once all the old dirt and stains are gone; it's then easier to really see what to do to reclaim the surface. It also lessens the chance of later sanding and stirring up 'whatever', causing respiratory problems for the both of you.

Advice given freely, by strangers, over the internet, and valued at that price, too!
:)

swampyankee

Member I
Precisely what we're thinking. Empty the boat, brings sails, cushions etc. home. Find the sources of the leaks and fix or at least patch them, do thorough scrub down and wash of the interior, possibly bring a dehumidifier on board and dry it out. Once dried, do an inspection of areas of structural concern. And then start removal of rotten panels, and begin refinishing. Meanwhile, evaluate motor and get it running. Then on to rewiring, plumbing and sorting of systems.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
It might be just me... but for a big project like this that will ultimately create considerable mess and dust, I would first start by cleaning everything up. Counterintuitive maybe, but I want to see what the project really looks like, without dirt, mold, and whatever else might be in the way of a clear look-see.
I would seriously worry about what kind of a biohazard this boat would be. Stirring up all the mold that is likely lurking in that it does not seem like such a swell idea to me.

Really, the boat is a complete wreck. It's hard to see just what the attraction is. Even if you discount your labor to zero, you would need to sink more money into that boat than it would ever be worth.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would seriously worry about what kind of a biohazard this boat would be. Stirring up all the mold that is likely lurking in that it does not seem like such a swell idea to me.

Really, the boat is a complete wreck. It's hard to see just what the attraction is. Even if you discount your labor to zero, you would need to sink more money into that boat than it would ever be worth.
You might have exhibited a case of "the vapors" if you had viewed the inside of our neglected boat in 1994. Not as bad as the one being discussed in this thread, but a lot of mold on the wood and enough black mold inside all of the foam cushions that we threw away all of the foam and thrice laundered the covers with soap and bleach. With some zipper pulls, they were not only 'saved' but still serve us well, looking excellent. (EY used quality material for their interiors.)

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That would be a pretty high bar to surmount.
I was younger in 1994, and could leap higher.
Sort of like the Viking version of the Fosbury Flop! :) The trick was not to get my brand new helmet-with-horns caught on the bar... :egrin:

swampyankee

Member I
I'm a die hard DIYer, having restored many British cars and motorcycles, boats and most recently a 6 year restoration of a victorian home. Sometimes the challenge and satisfaction of bringing something back to its former glory is worth more than the actual value added.
That said, I am open to hearing opinions regarding the realities of a project of this extent and i do need to balance the work involved.

swampyankee

Member I
I think you need to look at more boats. This one is a wreck.
I'm only considering this boat as a project. I'm currently not in the market for a launch-ready boat since we have a 28' power boat to use while I work on a restoration/renovation. Hence my initial post where I was inquiring only about whether an E30+ is a good quality boat with decent sailing characteristics and perhaps some of it's idiosyncrasies: "I've done a number of "revival from the dead" projects in the past and I know the true cost of a "free" boat. But I'm here to inquire about whether the quality, sailing characteristics, and "bones" of the boat would make it a worthy project."

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It obviously sails fine as a design, Ericson was known to build quality boats, and from the photos it has been severely neglected. Whether it's a worthy project is a dollars and cents decision, not an emotional one, and I doubt anyone can help you with that.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Swampyankee, I'm curious as to what you consider the "end of the line" to be with this boat? Clearly the interior needs major cleaning up/refinishing. But what about all the systems? Chainplates and standing rigging replacement? Engine and drivetrain rebuild/replacement? Plumbing, electrical, electronics, running rigging, sails, galley, cushions, gelcoat restoration, etc.?

Is the end goal basically a new boat with all new systems that you would then use for the foreseeable future, or are you thinking mostly cosmetic cleanup, get the engine working, slap some new sails and go out and use it? Or sell it?

You have heard from many of us that the 30+ is an inherently good platform for a restoration but this one in particular looks to me like a "build a new boat" project with a just few useful bits and bobs already in place. I share your attraction to big restoration projects like this, but if I were to undertake one again I would start with a larger boat and one in better condition. If I am going to start something like this, its going to get done right and done all the way. Which is why all my boat projects take the law of 3s (3x longer 3x more $$ than expected) to the extreme, perhaps I should call it the law of 9's the way things have gone. But that's just me. We all have our standards for what we are willing to start with and what we will end up with. I like to understand how others look at this.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
1674502690749.pngNot sure why that secondary compression post running through the dinette table is there ? Mine does not have or need that. Not a Ericson factory install so something is amiss with that.

swampyankee

Member I
Swampyankee, I'm curious as to what you consider the "end of the line" to be with this boat? Clearly the interior needs major cleaning up/refinishing. But what about all the systems? Chainplates and standing rigging replacement? Engine and drivetrain rebuild/replacement? Plumbing, electrical, electronics, running rigging, sails, galley, cushions, gelcoat restoration, etc.?

Is the end goal basically a new boat with all new systems that you would then use for the foreseeable future, or are you thinking mostly cosmetic cleanup, get the engine working, slap some new sails and go out and use it? Or sell it?

You have heard from many of us that the 30+ is an inherently good platform for a restoration but this one in particular looks to me like a "build a new boat" project with a just few useful bits and bobs already in place. I share your attraction to big restoration projects like this, but if I were to undertake one again I would start with a larger boat and one in better condition. If I am going to start something like this, its going to get done right and done all the way. Which is why all my boat projects take the law of 3s (3x longer 3x more $$ than expected) to the extreme, perhaps I should call it the law of 9's the way things have gone. But that's just me. We all have our standards for what we are willing to start with and what we will end up with. I like to understand how others look at this.
All good points. Wiring, plumbing, mechanicals would be subject to review by me, including engine replacement or rebuild. I have done all the above in the past. I would expect to restore the existing gelcoat, to that of a respectable 40 year old boat. People have commented on how we've transformed the cosmetics of a boat just by applying copious amounts of elbow grease. Interior woodwork would be stripped out and refinished/replaced where necessary. The rig looks to be in good shape, but subject to inspection and replacement where advised after inspection by a rigger.
As long as the existing sails are serviceable, they can be used and replaced down the line as I've done in the past with other boats. Technology changes so rapidly that it's expected to have to replace and update them. I'd rather buy a boat with older obsolete electronics and choose my own replacements.

From what I've read, the E30+ is a solid design, with few quirks. The layout of the boat checks many boxes for us, and it may very well be our final boat. Although 35 feet is the new 30, a 30 footer works well for us and our sailing ambitions, and is easily handled, and relatively economical to own.

swampyankee

Member I
View attachment 45670Not sure why that secondary compression post running through the dinette table is there ? Mine does not have or need that. Not a Ericson factory install so something is amiss with that.
Neither has every other one I've seen. I assume the post is a hand-hold for moving around the cabin under way. There is no load above that would require a compression post. It would certainly not be there to add support to the keel floor since the cabin top doesn't have sufficient structure for that. If you notice in the galley someone has replaced the tilt-out plate holder with a microwave (!@#$), so the boat has a couple custom touches. It also has a funky superstructure above the helm. Seems pretty elaborate for just a sun shade.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The pole looks to be a welded construction and powder-coated. A bit of an elaborate measure for a jury-rig repair.
Though less work than a proper core repair.

The point is, having that post there makes little sense. Minimally, it would merit poking around to figure out why.