Fortress anchor size for 1973 E27

rgoff

Member III
I'm thinking about getting a light weight Fortress anchor as a present to my back. Their FX-7 (4 lbs) units says for up to a 27 footer. The FX-11 (7 lbs) for 28 to 32 feet. I think the E27 is probably heavier than a lot of 27 footers, so I'm wondering if I should go for the larger size?

Anyone using the Fortress on an E27?

Thanks,
Ralph

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Anchor Size

Ralph,

If I was buying an anchor, I would buy at least one size larger than was "recommended" by the manufacturer. In the case of a lightweight alloy anchor, I would definitely want to err on the large size. I know that if I scrimped on this important piece of equipment, I would never be able to get a good night's sleep while on the hook. I would always be wondering if the thing would hold and could never trust it implicitly. Just my $0.02 worth....

Sven

Seglare
rgoff said:
I'm thinking about getting a light weight Fortress anchor as a present to my back. Their FX-7 (4 lbs) units says for up to a 27 footer. The FX-11 (7 lbs) for 28 to 32 feet. I think the E27 is probably heavier than a lot of 27 footers, so I'm wondering if I should go for the larger size?

Anyone using the Fortress on an E27?

Thanks,
Ralph

What kind of bottoms are you going to encounter ? Is this for overnight or just a lunch hook ?

The lighter anchors are very sensitive to bottom conditions. Will you be using a chain rode ?

-Sven

Bill Hearsey

I used a Fx-16 on a pearson 303 and an Islander 32. On both boats it held well in conditions up to the 30 kn range (never anchored in condtions above that). The anchor was never deeply enbedded. I don't know if you have used one before, but I found them a real pain to set - too light. They want to float when you get up enought speed to back down on your anchor. The only way I found to consistantly get it to set, was to let out almost all my rode as I backed and then (with the boat out of gear), pull myself back to the anchor. I still have it and use it, but only in a mud bottom. and as a storm anchor. I use a Bruce now and love it, but a lot depends on the type of bottom you anchor in. I now have a E-27 and think the 16 is probably over kill, but as others have said, it's better to be too big than too small and sleep well.

Bill Hearsey

E-27 Rosscoe

rgoff

Member III
Thanks to all who took time to reply.

I was definitely tending toward the larger size and sounds like that's what I should do. Regardless of the size, however, I rarely sleep well at anchor, unless inside a harbor. :)

I'm in the Southern Calif area (Dana Point) and would encounter mostly mud and sand (I guess). Frankly, I've not anchored that much, but am hoping to broaden my sailing trip range to between San Diego and Santa Barbara.

I use around 25-30 feet of chain and the rest line.

The reply regarding "hard to set" is very interesting and I'd never thought of it. I'll have to ask the person on my dock who has a Fortress hanging from their bow pulpit about it

Good sailing to all,

Fortress

I have a Fortress on my E-27. Works like a charm. I am on Florida's west coast. Sand, mud, marl--it bites and holds. Good anchor.

Morgan Stinemetz