For Sale - Used Universal A4

rehammond

I have a used A4 purchased two years ago meant to install in a derelict E27 I am renewing and refitting.

The sad story:

The shaft, prop, raw water plumbing, electric, complete exhaust, and fuel work to install the engine was completed and I ran it for one season. After putting the boat on the hard for the off season and saving diligently to purchase a new head, gauges and senders, and Indigo 3-blade prop I prepared to start the work to replace the head.

It turns out the previous owner of the motor had either used himself or had a shop use epoxy to join the head to block - no amount of mechanical force has dislodged the head. I have not attempted to torch the head hot to attempt removal but instead went about purchasing a last year model Mercury Bigfoot Sailpower outboard with a new engine warranty. Sort of a copout but very effective.

Engine is stock carb, distributor, fuel pump, water pump, alternator, and is raw water cooled. Alternator put out a satisfactory voltage/amperage to keep two deep cycle batteries charged reliably. Shaft is new, stuffing box is rebuilt professionally with fresh packing, includes a new Indigo 3-blade prop. Prop delivered exceptional forward power but reverse was still very weak, hence the choice to go with the outboard for me. The Vetus waterlift is new and functioned perfectly with no leaks or backwash in my installation. The exhaust is new from the manifold back and included. The shaft and prop are included. A NEW head from Moyer Marine is included with new gaskets. New oil, temp, ammeter, and senders are included. Manuals, two, from Moyer Marine are included. Interested yet?

I am carrying this engine around installed in my boat this season and am very interested in getting it out to get the stern squat out of her lines and the weepage from a non-used shaft to stop filling the bilge-well every four hours. I am not willing to simply reef down on the packing nut as I don't want to ruin the work done on the stuffing box - I'll keep pumping the bilge until I remove the motor for sure this coming off season and plug the shaft log in case I ever reinstall another inboard.

In my opinon, inboards are better for keeping batteries charged but the new model 4-stroke outboards are certainly advantageous for pushing and pulling and not causing ANY prop-walk at all in any direction. The Merc has proven better at allowing my 11-year-old to handle the tiller under power with NO problems. My Simrad TP-10 should do just fine. Enough digression.

I have about $1800.00 invested along with about 60 hours labor by me and the motor is not currently functioning. It will need the head finally removed, if possible, new studs across the board between head and block but everything else is ready to go. You choose. I'm easy to deal with on this and motivated. Getting any more interested?

It will end up in someones pickup bed, basement, garage, trash heap, or maybe even boat come next Spring no matter what. At that point I will be selling the new pieces separately. Name your price now for the package deal - no reasonable considerations will be ignored!

Contact me at:
rehammond@comcast.net
302-453-1878 home
302-323-3939 work
and I'll try to keep the TMI syndrome at bay...

rehammond

tim,

It's coming out tomorrow and getting stuck in the "back lot" at the marina I'm at here in Georgetown, MD. I've got the new head, manuals, alternator, Vetus waterlift, and other assorted stuff that will not be left with the motor. I've also got four brand new motor mounts I'm hanging onto rather than let them sit out. Let me know what you want and what you want to pay. I'm not only easy, I'm cheap. But I don't want to take a bath on the new stuff. Oh, and did I mention the brand new Indigo three-blade prop? Let me know. Emails on the first post along with both phones that have voicemail.

Bob