Folding prop

Richard Sigismo

I have given some condideration to changing the [rop on my Ericson 26 fron the standard fixed one to a folding one. I'd appreciate any input as to personal experiences. Any thoughts on folding vs. feathered?

Peregrine

Member II
When I bought my E38 it had a folding two bladed Martec prop. It provided great power in forward, but through wear, it sometimes would not fold completely when I sailed at slow speeds. I also have a down/crosswind slip and the folding prop provided very little power in reverse and sometimes would not open. This caused some exciting moments and after seeing a friends feathering prop installation, I bought a Autostream feathering three bladed prop. I am very happy with it! It feathers easily when sailing, provides good power in both forward and reverse, and virtually eliminates prop walk. I have noticed very little impact on speed when sailing, although I know there is a slight penalty over the folding prop. If you are racing the folding prop is probably better, but for cruising I would recommend the feathering prop.

Tony
Peregrine Spirit
E380

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
we really like our folder- they work great for the price...
But if you have the dollars, I'd certainly look into the feather.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
So Many Props, so Little Time

A Search on this site will turn up acres of thoughtful commentary on feathering, folding, and fixed props. All have their advantages (and disadvantages).
Here's just one thread (and not even the best... but hey I started it and remember it easier!)
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=571&referrerid=28

Note that threads can be condensed for printing, and pics can be dragged off to your desktop.

Cheers,

Loren

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Agreed

Folding better than fixed, feathering even better, but pricey.

A trick for those with folders and are having trouble with it closing or keeping it closed:

First, at the dock, with the tranny in neutral, rotate the shaft coupling until you hear a blade fall (clunck), then rotate back 90 degrees, and place a piece of tape or use marker pen so you have a visual reference (mark on top of the shaft or coupling) for when the prop is aligned with the blades straight back, and it is not possible for a blade to drop open. Actually the best thing is to do this while someone is diving on the bottom-ask that person to rotate the shaft to this position, then mark it..

When going sailing, try and shut the engine down while you are at or above 5 knots, and you have your "prop person" standing by close to the shaft. When the engine stops, put the tranny in reverse for a second to stop the rotation, then back into neutral. Call out "NEUTRAL" to your prop person, and on this command they just spin the shaft so the mark is on top. They will then call out "SET", att which point you put the tranny back into reverse.

The higher beginning speed has ensured the blades will fold straight back, and the vertical alignment and engaging reverse means it will not spin while you are sailing-no matter what the speed, and blades cannot drop down and open-until you restart the engine.

For 2 blade fixed drivers, you can help things a lot by marking the shaft when the prop is vertical-you will need to do this in the yard or with a diver-and when you shut down, stop the prop and go back into neutral, you can spin the shaft to the vertical position-and then hit reverse so it is locked in this position and maximize your sailing performance considerably over leaving the prop in whatever position it stops in....

Of course, feathering props solve all of this, but for those not ready for that cost, these steps will help your sailing performance noticably.

Cheers,
S

windjunkee

Member III
Just my two cents on the subject. I have a fixed 2 blade, 12 ", unknown manufacturer. I researched about folding props and considered the Martec and Gori. I heard a lot of negative things about Martec, so I bought the smallest Gori they had, 12" diameter. When I went to install it, the blades would clear the rudder when they were open, but would not clear the rudder when folding. Once folded, there was only about 2 inches of clearance between the tips of the blades and the leading edge of the rudder. It was the interference with the rudder while the blades were folding down that I did not consider in my measurements.

I returned the Gori (which is a great folder, by the way) and purchased a Maxprop 2 blade, 12" feathering prop. No rudder interference problems and better performance in reverse than with the fixed blade prop. As I recall, the Martec is around $450, the Gori around $750 and the Max Prop around $1150.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA