Flushing out Chaquita's Holding tank - an e 27

Joe M

Member I
Since taking possession a few weeks ago I am now getting around to addressing that "musty" oder below decks. So my question is' how does one go about flushing out the holding tank and freshen up the cabin? BTW.... Have had one maiden solo voyage for a few hours since taking ownership. A few close calls but avoided any collisions....and this is suppose to be relaxing? Best to allJoe

tadslc

Member III
The holding tank is probably only a small part of your odors but the way I've done it in the past is to find a pump out station and an understanding dock worker, pump out the tank in the usual fashion and then refill with water, pump out out, repeating several times. There are a variety of cleaners on the market that may help when flushing but I found plain water works pretty well.
You'll probably find, as most of us have, that the hoses from the head to the holding tank are the main cause of these odors and need to be replaced.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Tad is right that a good flush is the way to begin. Ensure that your vent hose to the holding tank is not plugged (spiders, dust, etc.). Wipe each of your hoses with a hot damp cloth, and if the cloth smells it suggests that your hoses are no longer functional and need to be replaced as Tad recommended. Ensure that your hose clamps are tight and there is no leakage anywhere. Flush the head thoroughly so everything goes through to the holding tank rather than sit in the hose for any length of time.

There are products you can buy at chandleries to help decompose in the holding tank and help with odors. There is also a spray called something like No Odor that does a good job of dispelling odours for a limited time.

Also check your bilge to ensure that it is clean, as they can contribute to musty smell. And if you have any mildew in the boat (lockers, cushions, etc.) you will need to get rid of it.

Finally, open hatches whenever you can to get air flow through the boat.

As for the relaxation part, once you get used to the boat and more comfortable sailing her, it will become second nature. Few things are more relaxing at that point!

Good luck!

Frank

adam

Member III
Start by doing what tad recommended. You can also pick up some stuff at your local marine supply store which is specifically designed to keep the holding tank smelling good.

But my guess is that it probably isn't your holding tank, or isn't only your holding tank. Mildew grows very quickly in a boat.

I'd recommend using an electric heater or even a 100 watt light bulb at night to dry out the boat and keep it mildew free.

2 cents.

Glyn Judson

Flushing out your holding tank, etc.

Joe, Out here in SoCal tank vent clogging is not as common as other regions of the country but checking still can't hurt. Search the archives under the key words of muriatic acid and Odorlos to find my thoughts on proper head system maintenance including bring back a system that has been neglected. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REPLACE HOSES in order to rid your boat of a smelly head system. It can be brought back to a very civilized state with not too much effort and minor cost on the order of not even an hour of your time and maybe $20 to $25 outlay at the most, certainly far less than unnecessarily replacing hoses and the like. My wife Marilyn and I shared a meal aboard friends boat on Thursday evening, friends we'd bumped into while we were staying on our boat at Isthmus Cove, Catalina. I remarked to myself about the head odor emanating from their cabin as we ate in the cockpit and thought how unnecessary that is if treated properly. It reminded me of how we take that for granted on our boat after the years of simple and proper head system maintenance that we have employed since before I can remember. We NEVER have even the hint of an odor aboard and you can too. If you can't find my previous thoughts on the topic, please feel free to email me back channel and I can send you instructions on how to get there from where you are today. Cheers, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA glynjudson@roadrunner.com

tyrguy

Member II
Muriatic acid and Odorlos

The muriatic acid MIXED PROPERLY did the trick on ours, worst problem is that the water coming into the head is seawater and gets stinky fast. Odorlos is the best treatment I have found I now use it in my travel trailer too, takes a few complete flushes of the tank to get everything out.

Joe M

Member I
Great suggestions !

Thank you all for the suggestions especially the flushing, replacing the hoses and the treatments. As it turns out I have another problem on my hands that most likely contributes to the musty odor. It's been a few weeks since I last checked the bilge and voila ! Chiquita has about 10" standing water in bilge and the pump is not working. More to follow.

Joe