First voyage of the season

rgoff

Member III
Well, I made my first voyage of the season. A solo trip for a whopping 12nm (one way) from Dana Point, CA to Newport Beach, CA for 2 nights.

I'd planned a several day trip. However, when I fired my Atomic 4 up I found that the fuel pump was bad. I'd only expected to replace the head before I left.

With the new fuel pump the old A4 purred for the motoring trip up. Fortunately, I got to sail back and made almost as good a speed (just under 5 knots average). Usually the wind is on the quarter or dead astern coming back. However, it was always forward of the beam this time and it was a great sail with nearly flat seas.

My 23 year old autotiller worked fine going up, but I couldn't get it to turn on coming back. Today I verified it's getting power, so looks like I might be ordering a new hi-tech GPS compatible one before my next trip in 6 weeks or so.

I'm hoping for at least a one week trip next time and maybe 2 weeks in September/October.

The attached pretty mundane photo shows multi-million dollar pads on Lido Isle across the water from my guest slip at the American Legion Yacht Club.

Happy Sailing,

Attachments

• BoatTrip051706 003.jpg
    BoatTrip051706 003.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 89