first sail

gypsyrecs

Member I
sorry to all you snow-bound folk, but my wife and I just went for our first sail (as owners) yesterday in our new (for us) 1985 Ericson 32! The first of many to come! I picked this boat after years of research. The idea was to get something we can keep for a very long time. The Ericson is truly ageless in design and quality. Now all we need is a name. Suggestions anyone? :egrin:

Sven

Seglare
Congratulations !

No, that's not a name suggestion. On the other hand, maybe it could be ?

Hope you enjoy it and share the enjoyment here !

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A Rose, by any other Name

Hmmmm.....
You live in LA... Do you like technology?
"Palm Pilot"
:cool:

True story: A visitor to our YC was just telling me about their new boat name yesterday: "Entropy" -- we shared a good laugh (read: a grim laugh) about the cost in $ and time to own any boat.

The naming possibilities are as endless as the suggestions you will receive from other sailors, like us!
:rolleyes:

Have Fun. And, be sure to do the de- and re-naming properly.
http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm

Best Fishes,
Loren in PDX

Mindscape

Member III
85 E 32

Congrats on your new boat. I couldn't agree with your choice more! (See signature).

As for a name - I'd be worried about some weird voodoo unless you name her yourself and go thru the aforementioned renaming process:egrin:

Of course us modern day sailors aren't superstitious like those early day sailors!

Bob in Va

Member III
Naming

Of course the final choice needs to be yours, but some considerations are:

1.) Avoid "cutesy-pie" puns or off-color references. Whatever your choice, you will have to live with it for a long time, so make sure it is not something you're ashamed of or that causes offense to others.

2.) Think of how it will sound when referenced to on VHF in case of emergency, etc. - is it clear and unambiguous?

3.) Is it so obscure that you have to explain it to every dock loafer who passes by? For some folks this is a desireable ice-breaker, for some it is just a nuisance.

4.) Is it so common that you see it on other transoms every time you go out? You might look at the "10,000 Boat Names" page on SailBoatOwners.com - you'll find that some names are shared by VERY many boats.

5.) What makes you and your family special? Are there goals, experiences, needs, skills, etc. that suggest a good name? Be open to suggestion for a while, and you might find the right name finds you.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
“Paradox” has always been at the top of my list. A boat is the ultimate freedom and when you are out it is the ultimate prison. I am on my fourth sailboat if you count two hobies and I have always kept the name that was on the boat.
As in step three above. Does anyone have any idea what Rumkin means? I have accepted that my E29 is Rumkin but haven't a clue (except for the one per sail).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
" n. 1. A popular or jocular name for a drinking vessel. "

Found this with a quick Google search, on an on-line dictionary.

Sounds appropriate!

:)