Fire on board!!

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Now that the mess is cleaned up and I stopped shaking, I thought I'd make this cautionary posting about a fire I had on board our E-32 III yesterday. I went to the boat that morning to refinishing the wood transom cap after I removed all the old varnish. (Another story maybe worth another posting.) I got on board and turned on the power (DC) and the Some of the AC components like the outlets and water heater since I was going to spend the next two days working on my project. After doing the finish sanding the the wood I realized that I didn't have the proper work towels that I like the rub solvent on the wood to prepare it for the Sikkens Marine I was going to use. (Like I said another posting maybe later.)

So I strolled on over to the Port Annapolis Marina store to buy some. ON my way back to the boat, about half way down the dock, I noticed a peculiar smell in the air, almost "chemical". When I got to my boat smoke was coming out of the cowlings on the transom and from the open companion way! I tore down into the cabin and cut the main 120 shore power breaker because it smelled like and electrical fire. I then called the marina office on channel 16 and told them I had a fire on board. They were there in about 3 minutes. In the meantime I started to open everything to try and get to the source of the fire which was under the cockpit from the looks of it. We discovered that to fire was in the electrical connection panel of the Raritan 1700 Series Water Heater (6 gal.). See the attached photo. after the smoke cleared I noticed that there was some water on the small deck where the heater sat. At first I thought that I might have empty tanks and so an empty heater but hot water came out when I turned the galley faucet on.

Getting the $%#* thing out was a bear!!! I think Ericson started with the heater and built the boat around it. There was absolutely no way of getting the heater out through any opening in the engine compartment area. But then I noticed something I had seen many times on my boat and never knew why it was there. When I lifted the lid to the starboard compartment in the cockpit I noticed that there was a seam where the area under the lid way cut and then the original piece patched back in place. You would not see this area when the lid was closed. It is between the engine controls and the wall of the cabin. After doing some measuring of the water heater and the previously cut out area, I realized the the PO had cut this section out to most likely removed the water heater that had just started on fire. Only that he was replacing an old one and installing the charred one now in my boat.

So I cut along his "dotted line" and was able to remove the heater with a bit of muscle but not before draining the water into my bilge. I will replace the cut out section but brace and screw it all together for the day when I or another owner will be pulling out the water heater replacement I'm going to install.

Now here is what I learned. Once in awhile, when I used a light to look back in that area, after checking the oil before starting the engine, I'd sometimes notice a little bit of puddling near the heater. Not much and I thought it was just maybe some water from someplace else. Maybe some rain water? I didn't think much of it at the time. If you look at the photo of the removed heater on the dock you'll notice that there are streaks of rust from the bottom two corners where the electrical panel was located. Also notice the large amount of rust inside the panel area which wouldn't not have been seen but still tells a story. That story is, I think, that this heater was leaking for awhile. The rust streaks should have tipped me off. Eventually the tank leaked water onto the electrical circuits and caused a short which started the fire.

Thing is the 15 AMP breaker at the nave station never tripped! I think the current was going through the leaking water and the resistance was less then needed to trip the breaker but enough to start a fire. My guess only and supported by what I observed and remembered seeing.

So the moral of this story sailors....is to keep and eye on your water heater especially when you see unaccountable water puddles nearby and rust streaks on the case. Of course although the Raritan heater I need to replace the old one is usually a standard stocked item at West Marine and another local marine store.....but not today! It's on order and good thing to because it gave me time to clean up the mess and re-route/secure some loose wires and cables in that area. Never did get to working on that transom cap. :sad:

Attachments

• boatwaterheater.jpg
    boatwaterheater.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 101

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wow!

Kathy and I are both thankful for your good fortune at catching it before a real fire got underway.
That's quite a picture that conveys more than even your well-chosen words!
In your place, I would be shaking too.
:scared:

regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Emerald

Good to hear you got it in time. Real bummer, but obviously, you came out on the better side of what could have happened. This also reinforces killing all auxiliary unnecessary electrical items when not on board. Hop right on getting any thing with smoke exposure cleaned, even if it seems minor. Fabrics can really retain the smell, and depending on the exposure, there might be some corrosive residue. I'm thinking you got it in time and didn't burn that much, but better conservative than not on this stuff.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Smoke detector?

After all that has happened I was also amazed that the smoke detector in the v-birth didn't go off. Wondering if it would be a good idea to put one actually in the engine compartment! But would it go off with just normal engine ops?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for posting

Could you tell where the leak was coming from? Clearly it's above the electrical connections but was it a cracked tank or could you tell? I just got back from a 2-week cruise and was messing with the water heater (while discovering that the Shurflo water pump's pressure switch has failed - again) and noticed the same twin rust stains below the electrical panel cover. I will add an inspection of that to the post-cruise list of to-dos. The only water I have seen in that area, I have assumed was coming from a leaky gasket around the aft lazarette. After fixing the gasket a few years ago, it stopped, but maybe I need to look again.

There must be a product you could use to waterproof the electrical connections after getting it all squared away. I can't think of a place you can put electrical connections on a water heater that won't eventually get wet on a boat.

I'm glad it wasn't worse for you and your neighbors. If not for the adrenaline, your heart must have wanted to stop when you saw it was your boat. At the marina adjacent to ours a power boat exploded in a boathouse and it took out three boats, two boathouses and damaged two other boathouses. Three+ weeks later there is still a gaping hole in the row of 'houses. The cause of the explosion was reported as gasoline leaking into the bilge ...

Sven

Seglare
We have the same heater ... time to check it !

We don't turn the power to the heater off when we leave, that will change now.

Thanks for the heads up and the story with the relatively happy ending !

-Sven

CSMcKillip

We to have the same heater, ours is in plugged, and is also not hooked up to the water system anymore. It was on our survey list of items to check.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A surveyor's take on it

I sent this thread link to a highly-regarded surveyor in our region.
Interesting comment on how the heat can conceal a minor leak until it gets larger.

"Loren,

Fairly unusual problem for a water heater. Raritan is a good brand and I suspect the problem may have been caused by a chafed wire. I often see wire nuts used to connect water heaters. Wire nuts vibrate off and end up in the bilges leaving bare wires exposed. But, water could be an issue.

When a tank begins to leak, the water gets wicked up in the insulation. Since the tank is very warm, the water evaporates until the leak progresses to the point where it exceeds evaporation. But, all of the insulation is water soaked and can cause corrosion of electrical items. Typically overheated wiring comes from looseness and/or corrosion."

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Interesting. I almost posted yesterday to ask if arcing caused by a loose connection might be the cause. I recently replaced the shore power socket in the cockpit and noticed some burn marks on the back of the socket where the wires to the main AC panel connect; the wire connections to the socket were not completely tight.

I have the same Raritan water heater and it had wire nuts on the AC connections. Luckily it had been removed over a year ago to replace the fuel tank and has yet to be reinstalled.

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Some answers and comments

Sorry for not getting back to you all sooner but work keeps getting in the way. :mad: (I hate that.) Anyway, I couldn't tell exactly where the leak in the heater was located or even how many leaks there were in the tank because I didn't take it apart. I had to get it out and another one in so doing that was not on my list. As for water proofing the connections on the heater, I saw no way of doing that because the connections and other electrical components are just too out in the open behind the panel. It would be a good idea but the folks at RARITAN just don't see the need I guess.

As for leaving the heater on when you leave the boat. That a bad idea. I never did it myself but one of the responses to my posting stated that the author had been doing that till he read my story. As for the fire starting from a chaffed wire, I know that wasn't the case. I inspected all the wiring and none had splits or cuts in the plastic covering the conductors. The connections however were very corroded which probably raised the resistance, over heating the wiring.