Finally ordered Cape Horn !

Sven

Seglare
In April of 2009 I wrote Yves Gélinas to tell him we were about to order a Cape Horn Spray from him very soon.

It is now almost two (2 !) years later and we finally printed the envelope with the check for him. He sure is a delight to deal with and I look forward to installing the unit.

I love the guarantee:

Guaranteed to your steer Ericson 39B through one circumnavigation or 28,000 miles.

Thanks Guy for the initial recommendation !

-Sven

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Quite an elegant machine

I've corresponded with Yves as well and he's proposing his "Precipice" model, one that has no integral quadrant. The I-31, with the stern hung rudder has two variables;
  • putting the self-steering machine off-center which Yves indicates is not a problem, and
  • lack of internal space to accomodate the above mentioned quadrant. Would have instead the steering linkage/ lines connected directly to the rudder via blocks from the transom.
Price is in line with his other offerings. I'm leaning!
The model name Precipice by the way comes from the name of the Bristol Channel Cutter he designed this self-steerer for.

Sven

Seglare
Greg,

I haven't looked at the non-quadrant models but would trust his recommendation. He sent me a chart with the track he'd sailed in his Alberg 30 and he's crisscrossed all over the Atlantic ... up and down and sideways (in addition to the circumnavigation).

The horizontal tube and the quadrant will seriously dent the aft lazarette space but with a divider protecting free motion of the quadrant we'll live with the space that is left.

The next decision is if we want an electric autopilot too. I think we'll decide after we see how easy it is to deploy and set a course with the vane ... or rather, how long it takes to get the oar out of the water and stow it, when coming in to an anchorage. I'm assuming we'll hook up a Tillerpilot for magnetic course keeping if we don't get an electric autopilot.

-Sven