Factory Non-Skid Color Question

mediabeach

E35 - Mark II 1977
I have a great 35-2 based in Newport Beach and the factory non-skid is like new - except that it is faded.

Is the non-skid a gelcoat? what is this material?

Once I understand that, I feel that I can tackle restoring it to near new condition.

If it weren't non-skid, I would just do my normal auto detailing tricks and it would be perfect.

But it would also be slippery.

I want to restore the color but not defeat the purpose of the non-skid.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Dan

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Not certain what your desire is

Dan,
One labor intensive suggestion I could make is to test a small area with rubbing compound applied with a small brush and see what color you expose, can't sand it obviously and this method would be an immense job with a toothbrush!
I inherited the coating I use on my deck. When I bought (Dina G) LAYLA II in 2005 she came with a quart of #30 Taupe http://www.kirbypaint.com/index.php
I would suspect the nonskid profile on your deck is most likely similar to mine and yes it would be a gelcoat masked and initially applied to the deck mold.
The PO obviously was looking for a bit more contrast or perhaps some fading and perhaps as with your situation, got him inspired. First off the paint I have used/ subsequently replenished from George Kirby Paints finishes almost matt, it's a very high solids enamel and I apply it with a brush, brushing it out extensively so it does not fill the texture. Between the nonskid profile of the deck and the paint surface itself it provides a very non-slippery surface. I'm going to say the deck has been painted at 5 year intervals and it pretty much covers in one coat. Since the 31 is a bit of a different style I elected to paint the entire deck and cabintop surfaces this last time out summer before last. The deck is molded in panels and was contrasting between the non-skid color and the framing. I did it all.
I suspect a coating like this tends to age over the entire surface and with oxidation tends to erode off pretty uniformly, ie: not just from the top of the texture. The cockpit floor and bridgedeck I would say have been recoated at perhaps 3 year intervals taking obviously more direct wear.
Last option I guess would be application of a complete new non-skid surface, and provides an altogether different appeance and texture.
DSC_0044RR.jpg

mediabeach

E35 - Mark II 1977
Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks Greg,

Layla is looking GREAT.

I also like the way you've mounted your instrument cluster at the helm.

Very nice,

Dan