Facet fuel pump

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think the Racor 500 series is worth exploring for all of us who have the 200 series. If it fits, it would seem better all around--at the least, no dealing with crazy-slippery auto-spill screw-on canisters that can leak air.

And the 500 series filters are $7 for 12, or under $10 as singles.

And maybe the primary filter could be relocated to a less awkward place than factory placement on the 32-3.

Anyone have a down side? Too big, maybe?

(This does relate to fuel pumps, I claim, since they share function)

Racor 500 series.jpg

Last edited:

gadangit

Member III
I have a facet fuel pump and this large Racor filter/water separator. I mounted both in an area that is relatively easy to get to. I think the Racor is grossly oversized, but I think that gives me hope that I'll always have flow. The fuel pump clacks something fierce, it is easily the loudest part of the whole system. Do all electric fuel pumps make so much noise?

I don't have any opinions about the function of the Racor unit, other than it does indeed work. I have 44 hours on the diesel at this point with no need to change filters yet.

Chris

attachment.php

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I think the Racor 500 series is worth exploring for all of us who have the 200 series. If it fits, it would seem better all around--at the least, no dealing with crazy-slippery auto-spill screw-on canisters that can leak air.

And the 500 series filters are $7 for 12, or under $10 as singles.

And maybe the primary filter could be relocated to a less awkward place than factory placement on the 32-3.

Anyone have a down side? Too big, maybe?

(This does relate to fuel pumps, I claim, since they share function)

attachment.php
No downside. It's not too big. *Much* easier to change, cheaper filters, and significantly increased surface area to make it more clog resistant. I installed one on my previous boat with an M25XP and it was a great upgrade.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
If anyone is changing their primary fuel filter assembly, I would recommend moving the fuel shut off valve from its original location to the tank uptake for several reasons:
1.The original Ericson installation requires an awkward reach, potentially over a hot engine, which could be bad in an emergency.
2. If a leak develops upstream of the original valve location (i.e. between the tank and the primary filter) there is no way to shut it off with the original setup.
3. The valve does not need to be near a Racor 500 style filter, as it need not be closed during filter changes.
4. The tank is a more common location for fuel shut off valves, so that a crew member or guest unfamiliar with the setup would look there first to shut off fuel in an emergency.
5. On our boat it is much easier to lift the aft cabin cushion and access a valve at the tank than to remove the companionway steps and engine cover.
Mike Jacker

Navman

Member III
Fuel pump

Wow! Sure did get a lot of good responses. I believe that while I am changing out the fuel lines this weekend I am going to find a more convenient location for a primary filter also. I like the Racor set up due to its ease and reduced cost. I will perform the task over the winter along with the fuel tank access ports. Seems like the list keeps getting longer for my winter projects. Wonder how long this winter is going to be?

Thanks again to all for the plethora of great information.

Hoping everyone has a great, safe and Happy Thanksgiving!!!!