Experience with Cukote bottom paint?

sailingdeacon

Member III
I am thinking of using Cukote bottom paint by Sea Hawk. Myhighly regarded local yard began using it. I've always used Micron CSC or Extra. I repaint between 1.5 and 2.5 years. I am in an area of slime buildup, with brackish water. It's rather new I think, made in the usa.

Any experience?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Ask around for recommendations WHERE YOU ACTUALLY KEEP THE BOAT! Here in RI many people like Micron. I tried it where I keep my boat, very little water movement, a bit brackish, and it didn't work all that well, at least not for the two seasons they advertise. Switched to Petit Ultima SR and the bottom is MUCH cleaner, its quite obvious going into the second season. Go with what works locally at your marina, there is enough variability in marina location to make one type work better than another.

RT

sailingdeacon

Member III
For sure your response about local experience is the answer and I realize that.... but in my easten NC, only one yard, highly regarded, has used this paint for only a year.. so there is no experience really. So some feedback from those using it would be better than nothing. (maybe not?) I do like the idea of using American made products which this paint is.

I also find that Micron ablative really does not ablate that well and am expecting a big sanding job next week to remove much of it. So I am leaning toward Petit Ultimate SR40