Exhaust coming out of a two ports.

Peter B

Lately my Erickson 30+ has been pissing from two exhaust ports. See photo please.
Not sure what's up. Engine temps are good, no leaks.
Can anyone shed some light on what my Universal M18 is doing?

Attachments

• IMG_4817.JPG
    IMG_4817.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 25

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Lately my Erickson 30+ has been pissing from two exhaust ports. See photo please.
Not sure what's up. Engine temps are good, no leaks.
Can anyone shed some light on what my Universal M18 is doing?
The water out of the white one on the left is usually much less than the one on the right, the larger exhaust, and that one looks much less than mine on our 1984 E30+. I'm guessing your exhaust is blocked somewhere, which usually requires some problem solving at each section along the way, possibly the exhaust riser. I would expect that your engine might begin to overheat. Others will likely also have some suggestions.
Frank

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Are you sure you don't have a leak in your raw water system that's putting water in the bilge? The exhaust stem is pretty straight forward. Having exhaust come from an unexpected thru hull is really strange. I would think there has to be a leak or a crossover between systems (non factory installed)

Identifying the thru hull the excess water is coming from is probably the next step.

Frank Langer

The smaller amount should be coming from the exhaust vent hose that normally has a T fitting on the underside of the cockpit floor and discharge through a small hose on the transom. If your water is coming from the bilge, that's a different problem. Either way, the main water exhaust should be more forceful volume.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Universal small diesels, including our former M25xp, had a "syphon break" small hose leading to a small transom thru hull, and it "peed" a small stream of water all the time the engine was running. Optional for our new Betamarine, so I did not install one.
The most water, by a fair measure, should be coming out of the exhaust fitting.

Last edited:

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
The smaller amount should be coming from the exhaust vent hose that normally has a T fitting on the underside of the cockpit floor and discharge through a small hose on the transom. If your water is coming from the bilge, that's a different problem. Either way, the main water exhaust should be more forceful volume.
Frank
Good point frank, I forgot about the vent line! Is the vent before the water injection point?

Frank Langer

Good point frank, I forgot about the vent line! Is the vent before the water injection point?
Not sure where it occurs, but you can see the hose coming up from the exhaust riser to the underside of the cockpit floor to a T fitting, then that hose goes out thru the transom. From your pic I'm concerned about the low volume of the main exhaust, suggesting to me there's a blockage in the exhaust riser, heat exchanger, muffler or exhaust hoses, maybe from carbon buildup, corrosion in the heat exchanger or kink in a hose.
Frank

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yeah that seems like too little water coming out the main exhaust Otherwise its normal if that you have the siphon break mentioned above.

Here are some photos of what the siphon break looks like inside.