Ever feel like you bought too much boat?

John Butler

Member II
From 19' to 38'

Hi Rob,

I moved up to a 1982 E38 this winter after owning and sailing Lightnings (19' centerboard daysailor/racer) for many years. My previous big boat experience has been chartering and sailing with friends (including PO of the E38). I bought the boat in partnership with my significant other. She is not that interested in spending time doing maintenance (though has offered to help) and is not mechanically inclined. However, she's always ready to go for a sail or sleep aboard the boat (which probably helps to keep me from getting too bogged down with projects). I have a list of projects that I don't seem to make much headway on (even during these hot steamy summer days on the Chesapeake I find myself off doing other things like racing my Lightning in a regatta this past weekend). Up until this winter, the maintenance/upkeep of boat ownership meant replacing worn running rigging or sails as needed (and not often). Now I've got all these other things to worry about like an inboard diesel engine, prop & shaft, outboard dingy engine, fresh water system, AC electrical, DC electrical, head & holding tank, etc. (fortunately for me, the leaking fuel tank was discovered and replaced by the PO while the boat was on the market). None of the 4 Lightnings I've owned had had any of these things!

For me, I guess the key to enjoying my E38 is not to get too caught up in projects that can be put off when the opportunity to go for a sail presents itself. We enjoy the sailing ability of the E38 and time on the water (under sail or on the hook) is key to enjoying her. My advice to you is to see if you can get comfortable with your big E38 (other posts have offered suggestions on how to do this). As one of my Lightning friends says, there's nothing better than "stick time" (or in the case of an E38, "wheel time") for this. Also, I don't see anything wrong with using the E38 mostly for daysailing for now (so far, I've been out daysailing in mine more often than cruising). That can change in time. It seems you've already got a lot of sweat equity in your boat. That will be lost if you sell the boat, but will add to your enjoyment if you are able to get comfortable with her and find more time to get out on the water.

On the other hand, if your realistic appraisal is that you're not likely to get comfortable with sailing your E38, then of course you should downsize. You're not going to get out on the water enough if you're not comfortable being out there on your boat. I think most of us purchase sailboats primarily to get out on the water with them and not because we enjoy doing maintenance/upgrade projects on them (that is secondary). ;)

For my own selfish reasons, I'd hate to see you sell your E38 because I'm sure you'll be a great resource for me as I slowly progress with my maintenance projects. :D

I wish you the best with whatever choice you make!

John

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
More Boat, more fun, more comfort... maybe

The minute I leave on vacation a great thread erupts! Here I sit, at a marina in Astoria, 90 miles from home, using free wifi. I am sitting at my nav table. Cold food and drink in the refrigerator to my right. Two evenings ago we had 11 friends inside the boat for after dinner drinks (We are making inroads on the duty-free bottle of Cointreau we obtained during the recent car trip to the Rendezvous in BC.)
:egrin:
Currently: After a day of walking around the town the Admiral is already asleep in the quiet of the large forepeak berth. If I choose to, I have headroom to walk around the interior. We baked cinnamon rolls in the oven today. The varnish on the just-refinished interior cabin walls shines in the glow of the iBook screen.
It is, in many ways, a world apart from our much-loved Niagara 26 we cruised for a decade.
Sometimes this boat, at about 11K disp, is indeed a handfull to dock in a cross wind. Still, I can single hand it with no real problem.
This year the project list got a bit out of hand... and most all of it is "deferred maintenance" or just stuff that now demands attention due to age. (It is an '88 model.) Good news is that everyone admires the referbished stanchions and new lifelines. Complements do indeed chase away some insipient depression! ;)

As to that feeling that sometimes a vindictive Fate is out to get me... yup... it happened yesterday. :boohoo:
We found that the diesel would no longer rev above about 2200 rpm the afternoon prior, and so used yesterday to change out the filter on the engine and also the Racor filter element. Prevailing wisdom is that this would be a good place to start since neither had been changed this season.
No joy... It would not even bleed through to restart. Luckily one of our fellow cruisers is a diesel mechanic from my YC and he gave me some trouble-shooting guide lines. I was feeling pretty damned glum, I have to admit, though. :esad:

After testing the supply line and then the pump, the problem was isolated to the Racor. Many paper towels were involved, I should note.
Culprit: Infintesimal air leak at the seal around the primer plunger on top of the original-equipment Racor. We were able to re-route the supply tubing directly to the electric lift pump and bypass the Racor. The engine spinn-on filter will do until I get home.
After having to abandon my trip north to take the boat to the Rendezvous, among other places to visit... stuff like this can really approach the "last straw."
But tomorrow really is... another day.

As to how much boat is really "too much" I would note that when we moved from a 20 foot trailerable (owned 5 years) to a 26 foot fin keel cruiser/racer (10 years), it was a little scary at first. We got used to the jump in size after about a year, give or take. Now, with over 11 years on the 34 footer, we sometimes dream of a 38, but not too often. I still remember how much this boat seemed like an aircraft carrier the first few times we took her out!
One thing that helps me a lot is having quite a group of friends that do all or most of their own maintenance work. They appreciate what I do and have a lot of empathy. That helps ever so much!

I really like the suggestions to deliberately schedule regular time away from the dock. Take small cruises and sailing trips.

Well, I fear that I am not "on topic" enough. If you have read this far you may have wasted valuable time better spent planning new sailing adventures!
:rolleyes:
More thoughts and/or revisions when we get back home again.
Fair winds,
Loren
O-34 Fresh Air

ps: we spent a year looking for a boat "about 30 to 32 feet long" before finding this one... Who Knew!?

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Wow, and I thought my wife and I had made quite a jump when we moved from our trailerable Precision 23 to our Ericson 38. But here are two folks who moved to an Ericson 38 from a 19 foot Lightning and a 22 foot Catalina!

I was indeed overwhelmed by all of the choirs and maintenance when I got the boat, but in our case it was only five years old at the time, so there was no issue of leaking fuel tanks or bringing the boat back up to snuff. To move up to a big boat with big boat systems AND have to bring a boat back to life from years of neglect at the same time would indeed be enough to make anyone wonder whether they had gone a bit too far.

But as has been noted by many others above, every boat above about 27 feet has essentially all of the same systems to deal with. Size is mostly a matter of cost (and how!) and handling. With a little practice I could easily single hand my 38, though I will admit that single handed docking was always an adventure.

In our case the work of owning the boat was readily offset by a month long cruise each August. About the second morning that we awoke at anchor, lingering over hot tea and fresh muffins, made the work seem worth it.

Which reminds me of why we bought the 38. My wife was tired of "camping" out in our 23, and wanted a REAL boat. Which to her meant having a shower, hot water, and an oven. All that puts you in the 34 to 35 foot category anyway, so finding a good 38 on the market didn't seem too absurd at the time. It DID feel absurd the first time we tried to handle it ourselves, but we quickly learned. And having a boat as large and capable as the 38 gave us the confidence to do overnight crossings of Lake Huron to get to the North Channel - something our friends with smaller boats didn't want to do.

But things do change. We sold the boat when I lost my job a couple of years back - mostly to be free to move to wherever a new job might take me. (Still waiting on that one.) But in truth we were close to selling her anyway. My wife had travelled to Malaysia on business that year, and relearned just how much fun foreign travel can be. Which is something that we had not been doing the previous 20 years as boaters, since we used all of our available vacation time using the boat. At that point using the boat began to feel a bit like an obligation, which I think is usually the beginning of the end.

But I don't regret any of the time or money (well, not most of the money) spent on Rag Doll. Those adventures will last me forever.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Thank you all for the replies. There are many good points here both for and against my E38. Right now, keeping it makes the most sense. I get caught up in how I ultimately want the boat to be and throw every minute, hour, effort and dollar I have at it. Worked on a 22 footer. Doesn't work so well on a 38..... Need more money and time. Reality is its a very nice sailing boat. It bothers me to under-utilize anything. I will try to keep in mind that the upgrade I want will serve the time I want to spend the on the boat in the future even if its not right now. Some stuff has been back-burnered for the winter. Right now I am concentrating on a fixing the issues that make the boat sail better and safer. The rest will wait. Thanks, RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sunday night, and "I'm Baaaack." The Admiral baked another pan of cinnamon rolls on the way home :) in today's part of the trip to return us to our slip in Portland.
We defrosted the fridge tonight and tomorrow I can dry it out with towels and turn it on again for the next 3 months...

Life was indeed simpler and cheaper in our 26 footer, but I do NOT miss the stooping all the time inside and having to search for block ice every few days, and the "genteel camping out" feeling of cruising any small sail boat.
I only wish that Ericson had built a 38 foot version of our particular boat! (Or, baring that, put our interior into their fine E-38.)
About docking, Steve sure got it right... sometimes single handing our boat in a breeze is, um, challenging.

Fair (but not cross!) winds,
Loren in Portland, OR

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Update Please...

So Rob - now it's December - nearly six months later - how about an update on how you did this season, and where your thoughts are now about keeping your E38, etc?

//sse

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Ahh, the pros and cons of keeping a boat.....
This year was the first and hopefully the toughest. Our "new" E38 had many new systems to learn, lots of little nagging issues and some large expenses that really caused me to question my sanity. I am still reeling financially only just getting back to normal. Granted this is to be expected on a 20yr old boat, even one with PO that kept up with her. Next year will be equally tough but there should be light at the end of the tunnel after that.

Here is the list of things we did this season past, some upgrades, some necessary:
-Replaced all the seacocks with new Groco units
-Replaced engine coolant pump (not raw water)
-Replaced all blocks in mainsheet setup with Garhauer
-Purchased used dinghy&motor
-Refurbished used dinghy&motor
-Replaced fuel tank (E38)
-Rebuilt battery boxes, increased house bank capacity
-New dedicated starting battery
-Replaced battery cables, except two
-Purchased Honda generator to charge batteries
-Replaced rope clutches with Lewmar D2 superlocks
-Replaced all engine coolant hoses
-Replaced cockpit drain/scupper hoses
-Rebuilt Navtec backstay adjuster
-Purchased new high output alternator/regulator (not installed yet)
-Purchased Fairclough canvas winter boat cover
-Replaced/upgraded shower sump pump to gear type
-Purchased 60ft of new anchor chain
-Purchased new 130 Haarstick genoa
-Rebuilt potable water pump
-Repaired leaking potable water lines
-Rerouted coolant lines to water heater, bypass modification
-Purchase Garmin gpsmap76 handheld
-New wing halyards

I think thats it but theres probably more.......

Things to do next season:
-Replace dead Raymarine chartplotter and old Furuno radar with Furuno 1724 chartplotter/radar at helm with Waltz mount on mast
-Send hatches to Hatchmasters for new acrylic/rebuilding
-Regasket portlights, try to find new lenses
-Repair leaking fixed portlight
-Replace heat exchanger, installing larger unit
-Replace traveller with Garhauer setup
-Replace "glass" in dodger, restitch all canvas
-Service steering gear

If I can get this all done next season the boat will almost be "done" HA! yeah right! I still want a new Silva/Nexus belowdecks autopilot and new instruments too.... The next thing after that is new standing rigging.

I have come to realize than ALL boats are a compromise. The E38 is a very nice boat. It has fullfilled its mission fairly well so far, mostly daysailing but proving its worth on some weekend trips where its accomodations are truely appreciated. Cuttyhunk was the most memorable trip. After spending some time on larger boats I realize that 42+ft gets you a whole lot more room and things like gensets, etc. This obviously comes with additional costs.

I am a bit of a speed freak and if I had my choice I would sail a Corsair 31. Very fast means I can go farther and what used to be an overnight trip would be a daysail. Since I mainly sail around Narragansett Bay this would be a better choice for me, right now. It would also be cheaper to maintain, since it can be hauled easily, simpler systems, etc. Of course it wouldn't be as comfortable. Okay by me. Not so for the wife. She doesn't care for mulithulls and likes comfort. You can guess who wins this one.... The E38 is really her boat, I just maintain it.

A smaller (monohull) boat in the 30ft range would also still be a better choice right now. Again, cheaper all the way around. The investment I am making in the E38 is for the future. Hoping for longer range cruising, more long weekends, more room for kids if we decide to have them, etc. I understand that it will be a boat that we grow into. Sailing and operating the E38 is old hat now. The only thing I don't do is singlehand as the autopilot I have is kaput.

My other goal is to pay the E38 off by 2010, triple payments so far.....

If I keep the E38 for 10yrs or so and keep upgrading her she should stand us well as our sailing experience and distance travelled increases. We are hoping in 10-15yrs to be ready for a Valiant 42 to point at the horizon.

Does that answer the question? :D
RT

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Ahhhh geee..... And I had you pegged as an owner who would just sit back and let the boat go to hell.... ;)

Good job - well done! Don't forget to visit her this winter...I'm sure she'll be lonely after all that attention...

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wow!

Rob's ratio of projects done and time spent is at least 5 times faster than mine...
:cool:
I am tired just reading the list!

One minor note about the F-31 trimeran reference -- one of our club members bought a new one and after a year put it back on the market. It took quite a while to sell, too.

He wanted to single hand a lot and it was a lot of boat to dock and un-dock. The idea of casually folding up an ama for docking did not work well on any sort of regular basis. It was extremely difficult to tie up a craft with so much beam, for him. He is a very experienced sailor, too.

(Even if he wanted to rent both halves of a two-boat bay, and he could afford to, the club saw it as lowering the potential number of active members we could accomodate. The public and private marinas also had only a few end ties where such a beamy boat could moor.

I would still love a ride on any of those tri's anytime... but would not care to own one.

I guess it is like the old curse: Be very careful about getting what you want.
;)

Best Fishes,
Loren in PDX

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Rob,
I just opened my wallet- and it has a big bruise from me reading your email... Evidently your wife isn't related to mine:egrin:
I think at the end of the day you'll be so happy that you have that boat- I know I am every time we're at anchor and I just came out of the separate shower stall and see someone jumping in the water with a bar of soap.
Chris

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Thanks for the replys/interest!

Regarding visiting the boat- I go to check on her 2-3 times a week and have already started on the projects.

Regarding the cost- I am not a wealthy man by any standard. I am extremely lucky in that I don't pay rent or a mortgage, my boat is in the cheapest yard in Ri if not the Northeast and I have no debt beyond the boat. This allow the literal dumping of each and every paycheck into the E38. I am fortunate and I know it, trying to get as much done now since the future is always uncertain and things can change quickly.

Regarding my wife- She is the one that wanted the E38! I thought it was too big. I make her nervous with the expenditures sometimes but the plan is laid out, the budget should support it so she said go for it. Yes, I am lucky to be married to her......

Regarding the F31- I would have it on a mooring, not at a dock/slip so it would be no more of a problem than the E38 to handle. Obviously I wouldn't need to fold the amas on a regular basis. I can get on and off the hook singlehanded now, its really quite easy. We prefer the privacy of the mooring and its much cheaper too. In a 12-15kt breeze the F31 will cover DOUBLE the distance the E38 can. That would make Cuttyhunk or Block Island a daytrip. The other nice feature is being able to anchor in two feet of water. Being "trailerable" saves lots of money on haulout fees and winter storage, etc. It would also allow for haulout when a storm threatens. I grew up in the Caribbean. Multihulls are everywhere down there and I spent a lot of time sailing on a 60ft trimaran named Freya. It was big enough to ride jetskis under the amas..... If we were to lose Ruby to a storm, I would be pushing very hard for a tri.

Regarding the projects/timeline- The list for next season should be done by the end of April, 07. I will save the Nexus autopilot for mid-summer. Doing a quick-haul in July to paint the bottom and check the rudder bushings too. If I don't keep busy I don't know what to do with myself. RT

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Upate:

Well, I got everything done except the chartplotter replacement. I feel like an idiot but the old Raymarine wasn't the problem. One of the map chips was bad! I got a new updated chip but the Raymarine is S-L-O-W. Basically don't ask it to do anything complex or you may have to wait 30 seconds to a minute for a redraw.

So how do I feel about the E38 now? Still mixed feelings. I think I would get out if I could. The boat is a really great boat. The issue comes down to the differences in how my wife and I like to sail and use a boat. I like to sail. Don't care where I'm going, etc. I just want to be underway. My wife uses the boat like a summer home/retreat/getaway. I appreciate it for that too however the sailing part is much larger for me. I would be happy with a manual water system, alcohol stove (not needed, I use the Magma anyway), no refrigeration, use a sun shower, etc. Something in the 28-32ft range with simple systems would make my life a lot easier. Maintaining the E38 is a second job.

We don't have the time to fully utilize the capabilities of the E38 and it still needs some major systems overhauled to bring it up to snuff.

-Needs a windlass. My back is getting worse and I cannot keep hauling that anchor by hand. A windlass install is not cheap nor easy to do right. A smaller boat means smaller, easier to handle ground tackle.

-Icebox rework. The current icebox is just about worthless with the AB system turned on. Since the factory insulation is pretty substandard the AB becomes a real power hog. We just use block ice currently. Smaller boat I wouldn't think of a refrigeration system, just use ice. Better yet, a large cooler. Easy to clean and can be removed. Since I am a carpenter/kitchen installer I would like to redo the galley with a new built icebox, Corian countertops, etc. Fairly cheap for me but a lot of work.

-Need a belowdecks AP. I have talked to virtually everyone with a wheelpilot and no one is completely satisfied. I can't see replacing my dead Autohelm wheelpilot with another subpar unit. My guess is wheelpilots don't work so well when installed at the limit end of their recommended boat size. Going belowdecks seems to be the answer. Its not a cheap answer, nor a simple install. Gimme a 28ft with a tiller and tillerpilot! Simplify.

-Standing rigging. From what I can tell its original and due for replacement. Grab the wallet again.

-Keel needs a rebed. Self explanatory. I have heard and seen the horror stories and have no idea the last time it was done.

-Water tanks. They are leaking. Not too bad but who needs their freshwater running into the bilge constantly? Hello Ronco....

I think the reason I got hung up on a Corsair Tri is the relative simplicity. Being able to haul it and drop the mast myself, drag it home in the winter to pick away at projects sounds nice too. The disadvantage of trailerable monohulls is that they usually don't perform all that well in addition to compromised accommodations. The performance of the Tri seemed to make up for a lot.

Lastly, I just don't take the E38 out on my own. That means I don't sail as much as I could. The possible solution we are about to try is leaving my wifes Sunfish she uses for racing down at our club on a dolly with the rig on it. When I feel the need and no one is around to sail the E38 I will sail that. I am also looking around for a used daysailer in the 14-18ft range, since I don't really want to get as wet as a Sunfish can make you on a regular basis.

So here I am with a great boat that I don't really want to deal with. But she wants it and I will keep up with it as best I can for as long as I can. Time will tell. RT

Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
Rob,

I can certainly understand some of your points and to a degree, agree with your position. I too feel a lot of the things you bring up with respect to going from a E32 to an E38. That is, I'm with you with respect to single handing the boat. I have a 14 wide slip and it's tight to do by myself. I will however put up more protection since we have a lot of cross current in our marina depending on what the tides are doing which can be a challenge. Aside from that, some lazy jacks and I'm in business for going out by myself. There is a retired guy in our marina who owns an e35-3 who is out all the time by himself in some pretty wild conditions! I think im my case it is more about getting the boat set up for single handling a little easier. Aside from that. I love the motion of the boat, especially when things get choppy with swells. The rig is a lot more powerful than the 32 though (not even in the same ballpark) so keeping canvas down early is critical in my case. When I do take it out by myself, I do tend to just fly the RF since flaking the main can be a choir.

Good points and I"m sure if you decide to sell the boat, it will make someone else happy. At teh end of the day, it isn't as much about the boat as getting out on the water. All things considered, I have few regrets about upsizing and many positiive feelings. The key thing is the doubling of the cost of moorage, the added cost for hardware due to the larger design, the increased cost of sails, etc. New main goes on the boat tommorow, most likely radar with plotter in July, and forced air heating in October if things work out ok. After that, it will be a new roller furling with removeable drum in late 07 or early 08 and I'm pretty much done aside from routine maintenance. Since we don't have kids and no plans for them, it frees up funds and more importantly, time. I find working on the boat relaxing so it works in my case.

Good points either way, now go out sailing!

Shaun

richmcn

Member I
no

the hunchback of notre shame (when i go down below)
rich mcn
neegee
e23
ps
but gawd she beats and runs like a scalded cat
and with the assym up
you should see the 30 foot dogs scatter

SASSY

Member II
Too much boat

I have a completly restored 87 34 that I would be lnterested in trading if you stll have reservations about the 38. They have the same floor plan but are a little more managable. We have outgrown the 34 as we hyave just had a baby. When I say restored I mean everything from stem to stern. This is a turn key boat, ready to cruise. And I would deliver it anywere. Let me know.
Thanks,
Andy

HughHarv

Hugh
A friend of mine jumped up from a San Juan 26 to a Pearson 35 and it was a big leap of faith. He was very anxious about taking the boat out with non-sailing family, and so that he would feel comfortable single-handling, he simply left one reef in the mainsail the first couple of seasons and only unfurled the headsail a few feet to help him tack over. He eventually became more comfortable with boat.

Still, he didn't like trying to drive the boat, navigate, lower and flake the mainsail so we changed his boat over to a furling mainsail and only a 100% jib. Now he's like a new man, he unfurls just what he needs for the conditions and takes the boat out a few times a week. There's even less stress and bickering between him and his wife as now that she can easily help out with the furling and unfurling, she's found that she really enjoys boating!

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
great post Sean..."BRAVO".......

"As the time passed, I became more and more comfortable with doing all this stuff myself - and Jim became just a passenger, drinking all my beer and providing no support whatsoever... "

as any compentent 1st mate should do.....

Rob -

When I first bought O Barquinho (my E35-3), she was in a horrible state - pretty much ignored most of her life and almost everything on the boat was original (1986 in 2000, so 14 years old). She was filled with mold, rotted sanitation lines, and filth as far as the eye could see (I'm not kidding - the holding tank was half full - the reefer was full of rotten food).

When I bought her, I was totally in denial. I kept thinking "...oh, I can fix this, and I can paint that and blah, blah, blah...." - but I never got a clear picture of what kind of 'total commitment' in terms of time (and money) it would take to bring her up to (my standard of) shape.

About two or three months after I purchased her, I began the heavy work of ripping out the sanitation system (I figured jump right in - and take out the worst of the projects first). After the demolition, the boat was all torn apart, and I spent months down at that dock - refusing to leave the dock - and I began to feel overwhelmed, thinking that perhaps I had made a huge mistake in purchasing her to begin with.

For the three years I owned her, I spent much of it upgrading and fixing problems that had been neglected - and it was only after about a year of solid work (after many of the big changes were done) that friends started asking me if she was the same boat, because she began to look so good. Once that happened - my feelings began to change - and I realized that I was simply bringing her back up to where she needed to be.

Had O Barquinho been in the shape that I sold her at the time of her purchase - I would have been unable to purchase her originally. Had she been in the condition I sold her in when I was looking for a boat to purchase, I never would have purchased her. I realized that I had to develop a boundary of projects in order for me to use the boat on an on-going basis (so that I would spend more time sailing and using the boat) - so I would be satisfied - and be willing to leave the dock.

On handling issues: Through the first winter a buddy of mine and I would go 'down to the boat' at 11 pm at times - in 20 degree weather - and take her out - just motoring down the waterway to a local grain tower and back. Later I started dragging him down there after work for evening trips out. Those small trips helped me work out lots of issues in docking and handling that would have been much more difficult during the day. As the time passed, I became more and more comfortable with doing all this stuff myself - and Jim became just a passenger, drinking all my beer and providing no support whatsoever... :D

Once I got past this initial 'repair ritual' to get her back up to the line so I could actually use her, my feelings changed, and I enjoyed her a great deal more.

That's not to say that boats are inexpensive - they're not. Nor is that to say that owning a sailboat requires little time for maintenance - they require lots of time. But like everything in life, you'll need to balance them and (as suggested) set some priorities. Realize that right now you're in the very early phase of ownership - where you're busying setting up the boat and fixing things to 'your level'. Set a list of things that either have to be done (safety) or that you really want done to enjoy the boat now. Try to achieve those things, and then go sailing.

You'll find that the adventures you have 'out there' will add a wonderful dimension to your (and your family's) life/lives. My closest friends and girlfriend (now wife) all recall favorite times out, or when something happened, etc. Those are the kinds of memories that only come from using the boat and enjoying yourself on it - the reason you bought it in the first place.

This is also not to say that if some financial calamity occurs, that I would advocate irresponsible ownership. I and others on this site have personally experienced such problems (my entire department was outsourced - so I suddenly became a 'motivated seller', and have since returned to graduate school), and none of us would ever support such an idea. This assumes that you're operating within your means, and that the boat is not placing an burden on your finances, etc.

The main thing is this: Just realize that the days of your life are passing - and that making and sharing special memories with your wife/family/friends is an important thing. Some day having the memories and mementos from this period could prove to you that purchasing your boat was one decision you don't/won't regret - even if it seemed like a pain in the butt at first...

My suggestion would be in line with that of your wife and others on this thread: stick it out, make a list, do what needs to be done for you to be safe and feel happy, and then go sailing and make some memories... If the costs are creeping up, set a budget and then set some priorities.

By the end of the summer you'll be doing what all the owners do: gripe about the expense, time and powerboaters, and then, with a smile, begin to recount all the great things that happened to you (and your family) this season...or last season, or the one before that...

Either way - get out her out on the water - you won't be sorry.

My $0.02,
//sse

ps: The E38 is an excellent boat - is actually the one I wanted - and you should be able to handle it on your own (once your comfort level comes up). She is the perfect size - small enough for you to muscle at the dock - large enough for you to entertain on, etc. You just need to spend lots of time handling her and setting her up your way so you're comfortable with her in all conditions.

zube017

Member II
i feel the same way.

i feel the same way, every weekend i spend on her fixing this or adjusting that replacing that, modifying this in 30 degree weather. sometimes i find myself sitting in the cabin with just the sound of my space heater blowing wondering WTF have i gotten myself into, but then i just think about both sails grabbing that breeze and that seems to bring me out the following weekend to accomplish something, because april 15 is coming and she'll be in the water soon and the sails will be grabbing wind,she'll be heeled at 20 degrees and just wanting to go.

keep your goal in mind because there is a beautiful day waiting for you to take yours out and catch some wind.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Funny how this post comes up from time to time, back from the dead. We still own Ruby, our E38 and it is in reality completely my responsibility to look after her. Having poured money and time into her over the years she has needed less and less as the big stuff is completed and checked off the list. She is still a money pit, all boats are, just accept it. She is also now part of the family, enough time and years have passed that "the boat" is a fixture in many ways, due in part to the great times had on her. The blood, sweat and tears are still there, just that now I know what to expect, it will always be worse than I thought, cost double and something will break. I wanted to sell, and had her on the market for a short time, but even if I had buyer the step to the next boat, while attainable was not within my comfort zone financially. Ruby is paid for, and that means a lot. RT