Ethanol and Fiberglass fuel tanks

Joe Benedict

Member II
Moyer Marine has been following this issue also. I sent a response to Boat U.S. about fueling facilities. The question I had was while I may have an aluminum tank, many fueling facilities (marina or the gas station) have converted from steel to fiberglass tanks. Could I be fueling my boat with their problems?

Guy Stevens

I don't think so

Joe Benedict said:
Moyer Marine has been following this issue also. I sent a response to Boat U.S. about fueling facilities. The question I had was while I may have an aluminum tank, many fueling facilities (marina or the gas station) have converted from steel to fiberglass tanks. Could I be fueling my boat with their problems?

The tanks in most fueling stations are coated on the OUTSIDE with figerglass. The tanks themselves are actualy steel. There are a lot of EPA regulations for this process, and some fire stuff etc.

I am 90 percent sure of this, but if you want to be 100% sure, I can check with a friend of mine that owns the largest fuel dispencening and fuel storage tank manufacturing plant in the US. When I last toured it the above was shown to me, how to get the figerglass to absolutely stick to the steel, and how to avoid any air pockets etc.

Guy
:)