Ericson Rendez-Vous 2005

richmcn

Member I
Are in the planning stages for two ports to visit on the West Coast of Michigan, St Joe and further north.

If you can please indicate your available times for a June or July trip, and whether you'd prefer going during the week or over a weekend. (crowds)
Thanks
Rich McN
Neegee
E-23

Buford

From past experience, it might be better to go further North and then head South. I had mentioned Sagatuck as a meeting point and then sail south to St. Joe and Even New Buffalo. The last few times we tried to sail North, the prevailing Northerly winds screwed up our plans. I don't know how that would affect your sail plan. It would definitel be further for us from the bottom of the lake but I'm not sure how much more it would add to your East crossing. A four day weekend might be fun, and if some of us can take off longer we could still cruise around together.

On another note, we had a great time at the Lats & Atts party after the Strictly Sail show on Saturday. Bob Bitchin' had his camera crew there and we might just be on their new TV show! The guy who sold subscriptions said that he is planning a Lats & Atts party this summer on Lake Michigan. I think he said Muskegon. Need to watch for that too. Another good excuse to party and sail.

Look forward to a great summer!

P.S. Reading a book called Singlehanded Sailing by Richard Henderson. He has some really good things to say about the Ericson 37 and Ericson 30 doing singlehanded circumnaviagtions. Makes me wonder if I can find anything better than my classic.

Buford

richmcn

Member I
Celebrate the Summer solstice in Saugatuck/Douglas?

June 20th or so to the 24th?

That way, you are on a weekday might have a better chance at tying up near one another and shorter lines for ice cream.

From Map source drop and drag, quick and dirty

From Chicago to St Joe distance 52 nm bearing 74 true

From Chicago to Saugatuck Douglas 78 bearing 53 true

From St Joet to Saugatuck/Douglas 35 nm bearing 21

I think from Hammond, you add 8 nm

That would give us southerly folk a little more daylight to make the extra distance.

Ideally, we wouldn't have a northeaster, weatherwise you could stop at St Joe first and Saugatuck 2nd or the other way around ...

Regards
Rich McN
Neegee E-23
Chicago

Rolf

Inactive Member
Hi Rich and Buford:

I was thinking that the June 24 date was better, or how about the next weekend allowing us to take advantage of the July 4 weekend? If we do June, the later the better, since some people put their boats in on the late side of the month. Also, just because we do one of these early, does not preclude a later crossing in August/early September.

rolf

richmcn

Member I
Dear Rolf,

The calendar is a mess with work and family.

Have to be in town for the July 4th weekend.

Hope you understand.

Launching May 16th . . .

Regards
Rich McN
Neegee

BrianSokol

I've started a new job recently so I may have to do a short weekend trip (leave late Friday or early Sat and return Sunday) so I'll try to catch up with you all whenever and wherever we go.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Pictures!

Hey Guys -

Please make sure to take some pictures at your meet - and send me some images! I'll add one for your event to the front page...

By the way - nice avatar, Brian!

//sse

barcavela

Dates for Lake Michigan Rendez-Vous 2005

Ahoy all,

It's almost June and I wanted to see if you all were still interested in doing a Rendez-Vous in late June. Does anyone have any preferences on dates? How about the weekend of June 24th to 26th? This is the weekend after the NOOD regatta. As far as where, I am open but partial to doing St Joseph again.

Thanks,
Chris

Mindscape

Member III
Great Lakes get together

If we get enough people to go - maybe Seth would be willing to join us and impart some of his Ericson insight, or general sail trim info.

I'll check on the weekend of the June 24th - 26th. It might be better for me later in the season (july/August)

barcavela

Lake Michigan Rendezvous

We were considering doing 2 rendezvous this year. One early and then one late. Try to get together more often. Last years went really well.